Chapter: 1 [Tragedy]

Italics: Thoughts
(A/N): Authors Note
-FB: is flashback
-FBE=Flashback End
"Fuck you"= angry moment
(Y/N): "hey" normal talk
Italics + Bold letters = foreign object in head.

-3rd Person POV

???: "hey eren. Wake up, we need to get the logs to your parents' house." The girl was talking to Eren, a kid sleeping under a tree. "Huh? Mikasa?" He muttered, correctly guessing who was calling him.

Mikasa: "are you okay?" Eren got up, and dusted himself, he said "Yeah, I'm good. Let's go" he took some of the wood Mikasa was holding, and took the lead, with Mikasa Following him.

While returning to the Shiganshina District, Eren and Mikasa encounter a group of soldiers guarding the gates, including their family friend Hannes, who are all laughing and drinking on the job. Eren, voicing his concerns says "Hey! Why are you all drinking while on the job?! You won't be ready when an attack happens!" Eren is reassured that the Walls are 50 meters high, taller than any known Titan, and there has not been an incident in the past 100 years. After speaking his mind on the situation, Eren storms off frustrated, "we're living like caged animals in these walls!!" Mikasa quickly follows Eren's lead.

Eren: "I'm gonna join the survey corps! They're our heroes!" Mikasa voices her concerns "No, your mother told you to not become one." Just as Mikasa starts to discourage him from that suicidal goal, bells begin to ring, signaling the Scout Regiment's return from a mission.

The Scout Regiment's parade through town leaves Eren and other onlookers commenting on how so few have returned; one of them looks at a smiling Eren and turns away in sadness. Soon after, a mother starts to look for her son, Moses, among the survivors only to find that his arm was all that was recovered. Trying to rationalize the sacrifice, she asks if his death contributed to humanity, even if in a small way. Sadly, the commander says that their expedition accomplished nothing.

Bystander: "Man, why are we wasting our tax money on these goons?" Eren becomes furious after hearing the bystander saying that. He jabs the bystander with the wood he just had collected, and screams "don't you dare say that to the scouts!!"

Mikasa quickly drags him away from the crowd and throws him against a Wall, causing the firewood he had bundled on his back to scatter across the floor. Continuing the conversation she started earlier, she asks Eren if he still intends to join the Scout Regiment after what they witnessed today. After a brief pause, Eren asks "just help me with collecting the wood, will you?"

At Erens' home, Eren and Mikasa join the dinner with Eren's father Dr. Jaeger and his wife Carla. Not long after their return, Dr. Jaeger announces that he has to leave for a couple of days to see a few patients further in the interior. Against Eren's wishes, Mikasa snitches on him.

Mikasa: "Eren wants to join The Survey Corps" An enraged Carla lectures Eren who just ignores her lecture. Giving up, she asks Dr.Jaeger to talk some sense into him.

Dr.Jaeger: "Human Curiosity cannot be suppressed by lectures. Eren, Once I return I'll let you see what's in the basement" Eren gets excited, until Carla lectures him again to which he bolts outside the house. Worried, Carla begs Mikasa to protect Eren. Mikasa accepts her plea, and sprints off to find Eren.

As the boy runs he finds a group of boys crying with Armin resting on a wall. A teenager grabs the leaders shirt, and raises the childs' head to his level.

(Y/N): "Don't you dare touch my brother again! Or your next to be fed to the titans!" He releases the leader, scared, and wasting himself, the kid escapes along with his buddies to wherever they came from.