Never Not

Vincent's POV

I open the fridge and take out the carton of apple juice, ready to waterfall it until Mom slides a glass cup across the kitchen counter-top. 

"Vincent, please pour the juice out," she sighs, turning her attention back to boiling pasta. 

"Sorry," I grin sheepishly, pouring the juice into the glass instead of directly into my mouth. 

"I want juice too!" Veronica swings her legs from under the table with a mouthful of meatball. 

Without replying I get another cup from the cupboard and Veronica stops kicking, satisfied. 

"Say please," Mom corrects. 

"Please."

"Here you go," I set down Veronica's juice in front of her and take the seat beside, stealing a meatball from her plate. She debates yelling at me, but seeing the glass of juice I offered her, she decides not to. 

"Vincent," Dad coughs, not turning to look at me. I don't reply, but he continues, "Since you're back from the mountains early, make good use of your time and do an internship."

"What internship?" Mom asks, setting down a plate of spaghetti in front of me. She turns around again to get a fork. 

"I asked one of my business partners to let Vincent intern there. It's a really big company and it'll be a good opportunity-"

"I'm not going," I grumble. 

Dad slams his fork onto the table, sending vibrations to all of our plates. 

"Do you know how hard it was to get you this internship? They had a hundred of applicants who wrote essays, and did interviews for it. Some were willing to fly out of state. I did all of the work for you, so you just have to show up. Is it that hard for you?" he huffs. 

"I don't want to go to your stupid internship."

"Vincent, don't be rude," Mom scolds. "And you too, honey. You should've asked Vincent if he was interested first before signing him up."

"I knew he wouldn't want to go because he's stubborn."

"I'm not stubborn. I just hate business. I hate it!"

"What? What did you say?"

"I hate business. It's boring just like you. I don't want to become like you."

"Why do you keep embarrassing me? All you ever do is disappoint me," he slams the table, storming upstairs. 

A long silence follows, with only the echos of his footsteps coming through. 

"Daddy's mad, Mommy," Veronica frowns. 

"He's just throwing a temper tantrum," she sighs, setting my fork onto the table gently. 

"I'm not hungry anymore," I get up, ready to leave the kitchen. 

"Vincent," Mom calls gently after me. "I think you actually hurt your dad's feelings this time."

"Feelings?" I scoff. "I didn't know he had any."

"I know you feel upset that your father doesn't understand how you feel, but he feels that same way about you. He really does only have the best intentions for you. He might not be right, but he only did it because he want what's best for you."

To angry to process any of her words, I continue my way upstairs and sit grudgingly on my bed. I whip a pillow over my head and yell with all might into him. Rolling over, I punched my bed repeatedly while continuing to scream into my pillow. I hear my door open and stop yelling, not lifting my head up however.