Chapter 45: The Eastern Woods

I was greeted by the morning warmth I had missed for the past few days when I woke up the next morning. It was far from the cold weather I had during my stay in the North Castle. My body felt heavier and I thought that the activities I had had taken its toll on me. However, despite the urge to stay in bed longer, I rose and lazily dropped my feet on the cold floor. I knew that it would be a long day and if I wanted to accomplish numerous tasks, I had to start the day right away.

I was walking on the hallway when I saw Dorothy pacing back and forth in front of her room. She was deep in her thoughts that she didn't notice me approaching her. I held on to her shoulder to stop her and when she saw me, her face lighted up like she just found the solution to her worries.

"Ah! You're finally awake!" she exclaimed.

She'd probably been walking on the hallway for a longer time. I shrugged my shoulders at her wondering what's she's worrying about.

"It is indeed a bright morning," I answered and continued walking, expecting her to follow me.

"We must go to the woods now!"

I should have known that what she heard from the pirates would trouble her. I doubted if she ever had a sound sleep the past night. We just turned the corner when I saw my mother walking to our direction. Lady Adeline looked so regal in her long, floral dress. No one would dare say that she's old enough for fashion. Some maidens would address her as the Bright Sun of the East because of her beauty. And I, on the other hand, was their little sunshine – their little Primrose.

Lady Adeline's steps became quicker as she approached us and her smile faded a little when she saw Dorothy behind me.

"You'll have to join us for breakfast. Lord William and few members of the council just arrived. Lord Chester Weston is already waiting for us at the dining hall," she started.

I scowled upon hearing the young Lord's name. I suddenly lost interest of the breakfast and it made me want to go to the woods with Dorothy instead. However, I was quite certain that my mother would not allow that. Something was also telling me that this breakfast with the council members had something to do with the political conference in the North Castle. Somehow, it became my responsibility to face them.

I sighed and looked apologetically at Dorothy. She seemed to already understand the situation because she nodded and was about to go to another direction when I called out to her.

"We can still have that morning walk after breakfast."

She just shrugged her shoulders and went off. Mother looked at her with disdain – probably because of the arrogant manner she just showed us. Dorothy didn't greet us, or even answered when I called her. Lady Adeline always looked at a person's attitude first before his or her status in the society. And right at the moment, the young girl was not really trying hard to be on her good side.