33.

-I got issues

I woke up with a splitting headache; I couldn't remember much about the night before but from the fragments that swirled around in my mind I was sure that my girls and I had a good night. I felt around the bedside table for my phone with my eyes still closed; Jay always opened the blinds when he woke up and I wasn't ready for the negative reaction that I was sure to have from the bright light of the sun. I opened my eyes into slits and checked my phone for missed calls and other notifications, it didn't seem like Jazzy or Lea were up yet, so I begrudgingly decided to get out of bed and get on with my day. I winced at the sunlight and quickly scurried over to close the blinds; I wasn't ready for that quite yet.

My morning routine took longer than usual because I had to tame my hair which was strewn in twenty different directions; I must have been all over the place while I slept. I felt somewhat better by the time I stepped out of the hot shower; the headache was still there but I didn't feel as gross as I did when I woke up. I decided to throw on one of Jay's sweatshirts and then began my hunt for painkillers and coffee. My boyfriend was sitting comfortably at my breakfast bar while he talked to someone on the phone, he laughed when he saw me and told whoever it was on the other line that he would call them back.

"You're finally up? I was about to go to the store because I was bored without you." Jay said as he walked over to me and placed a kiss on my forehead. "Here ma, take these and drink this juice." He pointed to the painkillers and orange juice that he set out for me.

I smiled and nodded, "Thanks." My hoarse voice croaked in response, "I feel like shit." I groaned and took the pills and juice.

"At least you don't look like shit. The three of y'all are mad crazy when you're drunk. I had to chase all of you down the block." He chuckled and pulled me to sit down.

I hid my face in my hands and shook my head, "I don't even remember that! I'm almost embarrassed." I admitted, on the verge of laughter as I pictured Jason chasing us.

"It was cute, y'all ran to some other bar because Kev's place cut you off. Then the three of you were playing tag in the street; I didn't get everyone home until around six this morning but I'm glad you had fun." Jay smiled and leaned over to kiss me on the cheek.

"That's why I don't drink often, I can't remember any of that." I shook my head and sipped some more of my juice, my throat was so sore that I could barely speak above a whisper.

Jay shrugged, "That's what happens when you work too much; playtime goes overboard but it's aight. Maybe just don't run around in the street next time." He teased and lightly bumped my shoulder.

I rolled my eyes, "Whatever, I guess I'm not going to see Amira today then. I love her but she can't see me like this yet." Hungover Kira was not an image that Jason's mother needed so I would have to reschedule the little date that we had planned.

"I already called her, she said that you'll just have to come over tomorrow. She told me that I wasn't invited but it's aight, no one loves me anymore." He shrugged and pouted exaggeratedly before standing up and pulling me with him in the direction of my living room.

"They love you, I'm just you know...more interesting, way prettier and not to mention an all-around pleasure to be around." I replied; I couldn't wait to spend more time with his family, they were everything that I'd ever wanted. They were funny, supportive and accepting people, whereas my mother's side of the family didn't talk to me or TJ because they hated my father and my father's side of the family was manipulative and delusional to say the least.

"Don't start, I need to prepare myself for all the abuse that I'm about to get tomorrow." Jay laughed and turned the TV on.

My phone started to ring before I could respond and I groaned when I saw the caller ID; it was like I'd conjured them by thinking about them. "Hi Yvette." I answered in a bored tone before leaving the room.