Chapter 14

The book release was only two weeks away. Ms. Green was often on the phone with the author, Carter Wright. Everything was arranged. Important people from the writing industry were invited. I had nothing to do except look at the store.

The book release and showing Ray around took my mind off Audrey but I still missed her. I couldn't just forget the fact that I loved her and she did not. Right now, she must be hanging with or around that new guy and here I am, still thinking about her.

I got a text from Katy last night saying that we should go to a club on Saturday. She was coming with Dale and I could bring a friend. I told her that I would ask my friend and let her know.

I hadn't talked to Colin in a while. I should text him. No, I should call him. He might be adaptive to modern technology but Colin is an old soul. I dialed his number. He made me memorize it by heart in freshman year of high school. It ringed twice before he picked up.

"Missing a very handsome man?" He asked. I could sense he was smirking at the other end.

"Why would I miss me?" I said right back. He laughed.

"So, what's up? Finally felt like calling your best friend?"

"Yeah. I'm sorry for how I behaved last time. I... I was not in the mood. I couldn't get Audrey out of my head. So, in order to make it up to you, I'm inviting you to a club with a couple of other people."

"Who might these people be?" He asked. I told her about Katy and Dale.

"Sounds good. I'm in." He said.

"Thanks, man. I'll call you later."

I informed Katy that Colin and I would be there. We decided to go to the nearest club on Saturday. Despite everything, I still couldn't stop thinking about Audrey. The last time I talked to her was an argument. She came to give me back the things I gave her.

Everytime I tried to get her out of my head, I couldn't. I had even cleared out her stuff from my room but her memories would always be there. She would sit on my bed and we'd talk. She would laugh at my silliness and I'd watch her work. I'd try practicing a new song on my guitar and she would tickle me or poke me to disturb me.

"Are you still thinking about her?" Ms. Green asked me. I hadn't noticed she was off the phone.

"How did you know?" There was no use hiding anything from her. Besides my dad and Colin, she was the person who knew me best.

"Believe it or not but I've had a few break ups," she said.

"No way!" I said dramatically. We laughed till the moment was over.

"What do you do when you can't get that person out of your head?" I asked.

"In your case, you try to talk to the person. See if they're feeling the same way," she answered.

"Well Audrey's clearly not feeling that. She left me for someone else. She must be happy with that other guy while I'm here moping about her."

"That's the difficult part. I don't think there's much you can do except try. Don't shut out other people out of your life. Your friends and family, they just don't want to see you hurt." She said.

"What did you do when you couldn't forget the guy?"

"I convinced myself he was a dick and I was better off without him anyway." She said. I shook my head, chuckling.

"Was he really a dick?"

"He was incredibly stupid and immature. I do not regret the decision of breaking up with him," she said. "Think about it, if she could fall for someone when she was already in a relationship with you, then the relationship wouldn't have gone well in the long run."

"Thanks, Ms. Green. I'll think about it." I smiled at her. She smiled and ruffled my hair before going back to work.

***

Mom's birthday was the next day. I never saw her on her birthdays. It was an unspoken rule. We met each other a day before or after our birthdays but never disturbed one another on our birthday. I spent time with my dad and she spent time with her family.

I went to the bakery, as I always do. I entered the shop and heard the sound of children laughing. Nora and Wesley were sitting in a booth and completing what I thought was their homework. Mom sat beside Wesley and tickled him. She looked up at me and the smile faded from her face.

"I'll come back later," I said and turned back.

"No wait!" Mom got up and came after me but I was already out the door.

I was walking towards the end of the street when she caught up with me.

"Do you have to be like that?" She asked.

"Like what?"

"Do you have to hate me so much? Do you have to hate your brother and sister so much? What did the little kids ever do to you?" She asked furiously.

"I do not hate them mom. I don't hate you. We've been over this. If I don't want to talk to them then I won't and you cannot force me to." I said.

"Do you know how hard it is for me? I cannot be in one room with all of my children. I love you as much as I love them," Mom's eyes were glistening.

"Mom, please don't make a scene here. You have to respect my decision. I respected yours."

"Did you really?" She asked.

"I'm not in the mood for this."

"Do you think I am?"

She was angry. I remember her scolding me as a kid but she was never angry. Then again, she lived with me only for seven years.

"I came here to give you this." I handed her the gift. "Happy birthday Mom."

She clearly didn't know what to do. She couldn't decide whether to be mad at me or hug me. She decided to hug me.

"Thank you, Zack."

"I don't hate you mom but you can't force me into doing something I don't want to. I should go," I said.

I had confused her again. "I love you, Zack. You're my son."

"I love you too, mom." I gave her a last hug before leaving.

Author's Note

Another chapter! This chapter was mostly to build up Zack's character so you can understand him better. Don't hesitate! Tell me what you think!

Vote

Share

Comment

Have an awesome day!