2 6 | h o p e

Song of the chapter: Eastside (feat. Halsey and Khalid) by Benny Blanco

 Halsey and Khalid) by Benny Blanco

☙❦❧

       MADDOX sat across from Reese as they ate lunch in the middle of the courtyard. He watched the cafeteria doors that led outside with a keen interest.

       "She'll be here soon," Reese piped up with a roll of his eyes, "stop being so impatient."

       Maddox shot him a look of irritation before a small smile curved his lips upwards as he noticed Evelyn walk out into the courtyard with Tiana trailing behind. Watching as Tiana and Evelyn stopped in their steps to speak for a minute or two, he silently groaned wondering when Evelyn would get to the table he was sitting at.

       Eventually, Tiana waved at Evelyn as she walked back into the cafeteria. Evelyn scanned the courtyard before her eyes caught Maddox's. He chuckled noticing the deep red her cheeks had turned. She started making her way towards them, but a pair of high heels stopped her suddenly.

       Maddox's expression immediately turned serious as he watched the exchange before Evelyn and Maya, the same girl who cornered Evelyn in the bathroom. He was too far to hear what she was saying to Evelyn, but noticing Evelyn's downcast eyes he knew it was nothing good. Soon enough, however, Evelyn hesitantly started walking again as Maya stepped aside. Watching as Evelyn fell to the ground due to a certain bitch's foot deliberately blocking her path, Maddox stood from his chair before making his way to the scene. The courtyard had quieted down as everyone watched him slowly involve himself in the drama before their eyes.

       Once he got close enough, he quickly kneeled down before gently picking Evelyn up by her waist.

       "Are you okay?" he mumbled quietly so only she would hear as he looked over her body for any injuries before his eyes settled on the bloody patch she sported on her temple.

       She shook her head slightly, "I'm fine," she said with a shaky breath.

       His jaw clenched in annoyance and anger knowing the kind girl in front of him was hurt, "No you're not. You're bleeding."

       Scrunching her nose in slight confusion, she gently brought her hand up to her temple before wincing as she felt the blood against her skin.

       "Oh."

       He watched her with anger evident in his eyes. She bit her lip and offered him a smile to let him know she'd be fine. He turned away from her as his eyes settled on the perpetrator behind everything.

       "Try and hurt her again, you'll experience worse things than your personality," he harshly spoke to Maya.

              If it wasn't anyone else, she probably would've brushed off his threat, but it was Maddox Lohan speaking. Why wouldn't she take him seriously? She visibly gulped before realizing the fear shown on her face. She narrowed her eyes at him before huffing in annoyance and storming off.