8: washington

when devon woke up the following morning, her heart fell as she observed the empty spot on the bed beside her. the sheets were still crinkled from the obvious presence of someone there before.

the memories of last night came flooding back to her as she felt both giddy and upset about what had happened. she tried to process through her mind that michael would never be hers. he had a girlfriend that he loved, and even though she didn't really understand love, she knew enough that your heart won't easily be ripped apart from something you love.

but devon couldn't understand what she was feeling. it was probably just some huge second grade crush, right? sure she thought michael was hot and funny and an excellent kisser, but it wasn't love.

however, there were these little things about michael that devon was indeed in love with, whether she knew it or not. like the way the corner of his eyes crinkled when he was laughing, and the way his forehead would crease whenever he was concerned or confused. it was the little things that she had gathered over the past few weeks that made her fall in love with this crazy boy that she used to loathe.

she rushed to the bathroom to find the pill she had been looking for, wondering why she hadn't thought of it the night before.

the morning after pill, just in case.

after a long sigh, devon rested her forehead against her bathroom mirror, thinking about how michael would react if she ever told him how she really felt.

meanwhile, michael was at charlie's house, taking deep breaths to try and calm himself down. since he had gotten up surprisingly early that morning, he read the text that charlie sent him telling him to "come over asap, it's super important." he decided to leave devon while she was asleep because he didn't have the heart to wake her up. plus, she looked like an angel when she slept, and michael didn't want to ruin the pretty image.

he, just like devon, was completely confused as to what he was feeling. was it love, or was it just another stupid crush? that's what he thought about on his commute here and he came to the realization that he would be equally happy with either charlie or devon, as much of a douchebag as he sounded like. michael loved charlie, but he also loved devon.

charlie answerede the door, pushing michael inside. "babe, you'll never guess what my dad just told me," she told him in a panicked voice. "he called all the way from washington and told me that my mom is really sick and that..." she trailed off, staring down at her feet.

"and what?" michael urged, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.

a few tears escaped her eyes. "michael, i'm moving back to washington."

at that moment, michael felt his whole world stop, as cliche as it sounds. when charlie moved to new york city a little over a year ago, he immediately felt an attraction towards her. she had been the missing piece in his life, the one thing that kept him sane. and now she was leaving him.

"babe, talk to me," charlie pleaded as michael zoned out, thinking about their past. "we can still make this work, right? i've never been in a long distance relationship before but i'm sure we could skype and text all the time, and i could come visit on holidays and - "

"no," michael interrupted, surprising even himself. "i don't think that's going to work." he was one to love contact. not always sexually, but something as simple as cuddling and small kisses and bear hugs. he knew that with charlie away, he would crave the touch of someone else, no matter how much he loved her. having a long distance relationship wouldn't be good for either of them, and they both knew it.

in a way, michael wasn't altogether unhappy. the overwhelming guilt of cheating on her had risen off his chest. ever since devon came into his life, he had been torn as to who he loved more. he loved charlie, but he also loved devon in a completely different way. as selfish as it sounded, a small part of michael was glad that charlie would be away. so that the guilt wouldn't eat him alive.

"are you sure?" charlie whispered as a fresh stream of tears cascaded down her face.

michael nodded. "positive," he answered, pulling her into a tight hug.

-

holy shit this was so like on cue

maybe devon had something to do with this bc satan spawn????

jk i love devon she is my spirit animal

have a good day we love you beautiful :-) -luke, cal, mikey & ash