Chapter five : Elves, goblins and Wizards.

Luka POV

(Warning, long one. Just need to get the back story outta the way before we can get to the good stuff.)

The forest was all but quiet, except for the hushed pitter pattering of the rain against the leafy canopy. The forest floor was muddy and wet, and twisted, gnarled roots made it harder to pick where to place my large black paws.

It had been months since Beorn and I escaped and had gone our separate ways. The cut across my left eye and cheek had become an angry red scar, cutting through my eyebrow and ending as it reached my cheek bone. I doubt I would ever see out of my left eye again. Everywhere else had healed through, after a painful process of twisting and pulling, as the arrows were lodged in deeper then we had first expected. The knife had come out after a few tugs and had healed quickly, leaving a silver scar like all the others.

We had managed to get all chains and collars off of Beorn, but he insisted on keeping one of the shackles on. As a reminder of all we had suffered. I, for one, had wanted all mine off, but the rusty collar just wouldn't break. What was it, of dwarfish make?! It was very strong, even Beorn couldn't break it, but he had shortened the chain from me, so now it just hung down in between my breasts.

I was in wolf form at the moment, stalking a herd of deer I had spotted in the Greenwood.

I was still very thin, as I wasn't strong enough to hunt very often. Most of the time, I caught rabbits and squirrels eating them raw. It'd been a while since I'd shifted back into my other form, and it was beginning to show even more. Everyday, I was more animal then human, more feral and wild.

I slowly picked my way towards the clearing the deer were in, keeping to the shadows so my dark coat would conceal me. My stomach clenched at the thought of food, and my wolf howled with joy. I froze as a twig snapped, causing the deer to snap their heads up. I waited until they lowered their heads once more, grazing on the lush green grass. I took my chance. I leapt into the clearing, startling the dear. I picked out my pray and lunged towards it. But before I could reach it, and arrow shot out of the trees and sank into my side. I yelped with pain.

'Damn it, I hate arrows!' I snarled to myself as the deer galloped away and I fled in the opposite direction.

My movements were hindered by the pain, but I kept up a good speed. Whoever had shot me however, was matching my pace. As I sprinted wildly through the forest, I could detect the sounds of three...no, four sets of feet in pursuit of me. By how light those steps were, they were obviously elves.

'Damn it!'

I picked up the pace, eager to get out of this forest. But, no matter how fast I ran, the elves matched my stride. Arrows flew past me, impaling the trees and mud around me, making me push my limbs to go faster. Another arrow sank into my hind left leg, tripping me up. I yelped, but scrabbled back up and ran once more.

I was now nearing the edge of the forest. Out there I would have no cover, but neither would the elves. On flat land, I was faster.

Finally, I burst through the forest walls and ran out into the open. I wasn't surprised when the elves followed. However, Like I said, on flat land I was faster. My powerful legs pumped harder, ignoring the pain from the two arrows in my flesh. Every time arrows were involved I got a sense of dajavu. God I hate arrows.

I was covering land faster then any steed could, and we were once again nearing a small wood, thankfully, this was was nowhere near the scale Greenwood was. I stumbled across a stream, my loss of blood making me weary. Nevertheless, I kept going. Trees flashed by as I ran as fast I could. The footsteps lessened, but one pair kept pace with me. I dared not look behind in case I tripped. I burst out of the tree cover once more and sprinted past a huge, hulking mass of rock that looked oddly like a bear. Sadly I couldn't stop to inspect it, as the elf following me refused to give up.