Pain

Avery

I looked at him as something ticked me on the inside. How could he? How dare he? Saying that he wouldn't be here if it weren't for me. For a moment I was left discombabulated. But soon, I let his tone sink in. I then realised what he truly meant.

He owes it to me because I sacrificed myself for everybody's greater good. Because I owed it to my parents somehow.

My hands gripped tightly onto my champagne glass. So hard that it felt like it would break. My eyes never left his taunting ones.

Cassy walked towards me with a smile on her face as everybody around us clapped. Rhys bowed his head to be modest. While I knew on the inside he felt a silent petty victory.

"I already talked to the manager and he consulted the orchestra. The piano is yours for a few minutes" I whipped my head towards her and my eyes widened on what she had said.

But I was just sharing a thought!

Cassy Holt was Rhys's cousin. She was extremely nice unlike her cousin and very understanding. She looked at me like I was not what everybody thought. She didn't think that I was strange or peculiar. She didn't think that Rhys was unlucky to have a cripple as a wife. In fact she was happy about it. Even thought I didn't see the point.

I had told her about the piano lessons I took when I was in highschool. About that song I wrote as I fell in love with the city. We were standing and listening to the music the orchestra played and I shared my thought on it.

And she told me that I should play tonight. And I declined as I thought she was joking.

But I didn't know.

"I thought you were joking" I said as I tapped my foot on the marble floor, completely forgetting what just happened a few moments ago.

"I wasn't. Now come on! Let's go" she tugged on my arm and started to drag me with her "N-no. I can't! Cassy! It's been a long time since I played" but my pleas payed no heed to her stubborn self.

"I'll make a fool out of myself!" I finally said making her come to a halt. Her blond hair flipped in the air as she turned her head towards me.

She had the same personality as Sarah. I felt it.

"No you won't! You are going to show these snobs what you truly are! Through your singing" I ripped my arm from her hold and rubbed it a little.

"You don't like to be pretentious like typical rich people?" I asked her as I looked around my surroundings. There was no sign of Rhys there and I took a sigh of relief. When if I sing tonight. At least he won't see me.

"Yeah. I resent the thought of being an asshole to people who don't deserve it" she said as she looked around the crowd too.

"But you are an asshole to your cousin" I mumbled when I kept my gaze limited and looked back at her.

"That's because he deserves it" she wiggled her eyebrows at me. Causing me to burst with laughter. People were staring at me now at the sudden laugh.

"Come on. Let's go" she tugged on my arm. Once again. She didn't even let my answer and staring to walk towards the piano in the middle of the hall.

I let out a groan and followed her.

Cassy walked to the stage as I went to the piano. My heart was racing as I assessed the crowd who were busy until Cassy spoke "Hello everyone! Hello busybodies! Today! Avery Holt" I felt a little tug at that name "will sing a song for us!" I found my parents watching me happily like none of this was affecting them. Which calmed my nerves a little. Then, surprisingly and not shockingly I found Ashley and the great Nora Roberts standing together glaring at me with full hate in their eyes.