Christmas

Chapter 14 | Christmas

It was a snowy Christmas morning. The snowflakes delicately floated to the ground, collecting as I watched through the window. The streets were still but not completely dead with silence. Darkness veiled the outside with only the streetlights to fight it off, casting soft glows onto the road. It was peaceful. I took it in with appreciation.

I stepped away from the window, pulling on the sleeves of my dark green sweater. Sitting back down on my bed, I glanced at the clock that read: 5:38 AM. My parents were still asleep, I could tell from the minimal noise, while the kid inside me demanded that I woke up early. I was tempted to relive my childhood years, throwing open my parents' room and jumping on their bed with Theo. I honestly felt older than I really was.

I laid back down on my bed.

My friends and I wouldn't hang out today, which was understandable. The five of us spent time with each other almost every day since the twins' birthday, whether it was at A New Chapter or at one of our places. For today, we agreed on spending quality time with our families, even if we were kind of a family ourselves. I used to think everything that had happened was cliché, but I sincerely appreciated them a lot.

And just thinking about them gave me enough courage to get up. I walked down the hallway and stopped in front of the door, knowing on it before pushing it open. I tiptoed into the room, taking in how my mom and dad were curled towards each other, looking less angry at the world and more peaceful. And I feared that waking them up would ruin all of that. Backing up, I accidentally crashed into their dresser, biting back a curse word.

"P--"

"Mom! I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to wake you up. I just-- I don't know," I rambled, "It's snowing and I was thinking about when I was little and how I would wake you guys up by jumping on your bed with--" I choked up, thinking about the last time I mentioned Theodore. My mother blew up and that was the start of ignoring each other.

"Sweetie," I wanted to hug my mom right then and there, "Oh, baby girl. I'm sorry, this is my fault. I didn't mean any of this to happen, I didn't mean to hurt this family."

I wanted to say that I didn't cry. That I still remained strong and kept the record of not crying for a couple years, but the way my mother apologized so quickly got to me. I could've been wrong, but it was like the past three years have been eating away at her. She was just as sorry.

"I'm sorry," I kept repeating that line over and over again, stumbling over my words, choking on them until it had no meaning. In my mind, I was screaming them to the world and whispering it to myself.

My mom collected me in her arms and sat us down on the bed. She cradled me like I was the child that I wanted to be again, stroking my hair, whispering that it was okay. It was okay. I don't know when, but my dad had gotten up sometime in the crying felt and hugged the two of us close. I let go of all the tears that I had been bottling up for a while, and I just clutched onto them.

And if I imagined hard enough, Theo was right there, too.

~*~*~*~

We decorated the house. It was sad to think that the house would've been left bare and empty if my parents and I didn't make up. I couldn't imagine how much longer we would've spent not talking. After everything this morning, everything seemed different. I liked to think that a huge burden was lifted off of my shoulders and for once, I was content with everything. It was a good life now.

We freshened up not too long ago and went downstairs to make a nice breakfast. My parents and I talked a lot about what have been neglecting, I told them more about my wonderful best friends, and they apologized for judging them before getting to know them. My mom and dad apologized a lot actually, which I found quite funny but genuine.

We let out everything from the past three years. Feelings, thoughts, Theo.

The three of us talked about him like he was right next to us, living. Instead of forgetting, we were remembering. It felt vivid and extraordinary, and I wouldn't mind to feel like that again. We laughed and cried at memories, but we were remembering. That was important.

That's what we did for most of the day.

Nobody invited us to any Christmas dinners, and we didn't invite anyone over either. And that was okay. We made a lame dinner of instant noodles and juice boxes. Of course, it wasn't anything special, but it was still nice to do something together again. We had joked around a lot, a pattern I found with a lot of certain people.

We settled on the couch, playing classic Christmas movies, like how we did it when I was younger. I sat between my parents, all snuggled up, watching the introduction of Home Alone.

At some point, there was a knock on the door. My dad pushed me to get up, even when I was way too comfortable. I faked an annoyed look before walking over to the front door. Opening the door, I found Reece Collins with a full-blown grin on his face. Snowflakes dusted his brown hair, his cheeks flushed red, and his eyes bluer the ever. Reece, once again, looked handsome in that boyish way.

"Uh, I thought we weren't hanging out today," I said, gesturing him to come inside quickly. I glanced at my parents as they continued watching Christmas movies, but I was pretty sure they were aware of Reece being here.

"We're not."

"Because that clears up my confusion," I sarcastically stated, "But seriously. As much as I like you, why are you here?"

I realized what I said and tried not to blush at the way he slyly smirked, "Remember how we kissed?"

Reece was definitely blunt with his words. I mean, of course I remembered the kiss. Hell, it was kisses, plural and all. We were both giddy with emotions, but neither of us regretted it, I hoped. Reece and I just haven't gotten around to talking about it.

"Yeah, why?"

Reece grabbed my hand, playing with my fingers before saying, "I have a Christmas present for you."

"We agreed to give it to each other tomorrow...?"

'"Oh, I know," He acknowledged, "But this couldn't wait," Reece took a deep breath, "Chancellor, will you be my girlfriend?"

There was a moment of silence, a moment where I thought this was happening too quickly. But I looked at Reece, really looked at him and all my doubts washed away. I could trust him. I didn't know why I realized it now, or if I was just brushing it off, but I wholeheartedly trusted Reece Collins.

I gently pressed my lips to his, feeling Reece immediately smile that smile I'd grown to love. He pulled away slightly, letting out a breathy laugh. Reece leaned his forehead against mind, and I felt intoxicated. These moments with him absolutely took my breath away, made me feel like I was floating around, yet grounded to the Earth beneath me. And his eyes, it was like another galaxy within them, twinkling brightly from happiness.

"Yes," I whispered, "Always."
_____________________

I hope you, @jenesaispaspourqoi

are

happy,

you little freak of nature.