Chapter 5

five

As he expertly maneuvered the car down the motorway, Harry went on talking: "Bliss, you're a professional fulfilling a contract. I've hired you to provide a service, but I have obligations under that contract as well. You have the right to demand information from me in order to write. Early hours work better for me before my crazy schedule catches up. However, I'm afraid the time might be an inconvenience for you, as you seem to wake up hungover frequently"

Before I could protest about his outrageous accusation, he burst out laughing: "I'm joking, sorry I'm joking. That seemed to upset you yesterday and I couldn't help repeating it today. I am really very sorry, won't do it again promise. Why don't we relax and listen to some music? Have you got a favorite playlist? I feel that the kind of music a person likes is like a blueprint of their souls."

I felt bad when I saw the look of genuine regret on Harry's face. He had misread the emotions showing on mine, It didn't anger me being labeled as a habitual drunk (I knew he was taking the mickey out of me as soon as the words were out of his mouth), his comment was a disappointment. When he said talking to me mattered I felt special and important, to find out it wasn't about me at all kind of hurt since it was clear Harry wasn't showing a personal interest on me, just a professional one.

Also, his asking about my favorite playlist put me in the most awkward position; I wished I could avoid answering, so I might as well tell the truth.

"Well, your favorite playlist question puts me in a really awkward position" I mumbled.

"Why? Is a common question?"

"Because," I said lowering my voice and looking directly at the car floor, "my go-to music is yours. I've listened to your album a thousand times since it came out, and to your 1D stuff about a million times"

"Really? You got the job already, no need to suck up to me now. I have a very strict no suck up rule"

"Is true! Sad bad true, listen" I replied turning on my phone, and the chords of Meet Me in the Hallway, the first track on Harry Styles album, started to play.

"Fine, fine I believe you. No need to feel embarrassed, it shows you've got a great musical taste. It does feel a bit weird listening to my own songs while we talk, mind if I put on some Fleetwood Mac?" he conceded.

"Yes, please do." I agreed immediately, and he started playing Rumours. "I'm really sorry I overslept today and made you late. I'm also sorry for you having to pick me up, it means you have extra driving time."

After listening to my apology, Harry seemed to take a deep breath. I was mortified I had upset him, I was going to be fired.

"There's no need for that. No apologies. I liked meeting your family while I waited for a little while for you. And it was I who offered to pick you up. I enjoy driving, I don't get to do it as often as I'd like, besides the extra driving time is only fifteen minutes. Consider the apologies part of the journey closed. Let's talk about something else"

I began to relax, I hadn't ruined anything. Harry began to talk about how since he could remember he always knew he would try to be a performer because entertaining people was the best thing in the world for him. Quickly we were talking about what TV shows, and movies we liked, we agreed on Friends (we both loved it) and we disagreed on The Notebook (he loved it, and I thought it was just ok). I recounted how much I had enjoyed James Corden comedic skills ever since Gavin & Stacey and he said I might just get to meet Corden since Harry was very good friends with him and also Corden's producer (Ben Winston) was Harry's producer in his new tv venture.