Chapter 36 - Nigel Quintin Ulysses

Chapter 36
Nigel Quintin Ulysses

So pretty much everyone knows that I had sex with their Guardian – with Marcus, and I couldn't be more embarrassed. I can still feel the stares of the people here, their gazes burning at me. I guess this is the first time they have seen a werewolf really mated to a human. Probably they are checking to see if I've become like Dave, who eventually became a werewolf. But I don't feel anything – besides the pain in my ass, that is. So I've tried my best to ignore their stares even though it makes me very uncomfortable. Yes, I was a basketball player and people had watched me play, but this is a different thing. They know Marcus and I had sex, and it's very obvious and they can smell it.

As Dave and Kieran talk to each other, their hands gesturing towards the air indicating that they're trying to explain something, a very unusual smells tickles my nostrils – the scent is strong. I don't really know how to explain it, but it's really strong. I search for the smell, but something tells me that it's close to me. Very. My eyes land on Dave and Kieran, and the smell is coming from them. No, it's not really a body odor. It's not even a bad smell at all. They both see me looking at them and ask if I'm alright, to which I nod as a response.

"Hey, um, I don't know... but there's this scent I smell... and it's coming off of you guys," I tell them honestly. Listening to my own words, I don't if it came out as rude. But they don't really look offended. Instead they look curious and confused. "No, sorry about that, I shouldn't have said that. Forget it."

"No, it's not that." Dave says as he scratches his left cheek, then he looks at his brother for confirmation. Kieran nods, looking perplexed. "Does it smell like.... like... does it tell you, basically, to back off?"

I take another sniff again, and sure enough, Dave is right. Something tells me that I shouldn't be romantically or sexually involved with them; that they are taken; and that they've just done some deed. I nod my head at them, my brows furrowing. Kieran's eyes are now wide as if he has seen a ghost. Funny, because I would have never thought werewolves existed, not until I saw them.

"Dave..." Kieran begins and he looks for his brother's confirmation. "Don't you think..."

"Is there like, a voice in your head?" I listen for any voice, but there's only a voice of myself inside my head. No one else's. I shake my head. "That's impossible. Nigel, you can smell that we're mated and belong with someone else. You can also smell that we've just had.... tea with our mates. Nigel, do you know what that means?"

I shake my head again.

"That's one of the traits of the werewolves." Kieran states.

No way. I look at them incredulously, waiting for them to tell me that they're joking. But their expression tells me a different thing. They really think that I've become a werewolf just like them, like the way it happened to Dave. But there's no way. There's no voice inside my head other than mine, but the more I tell myself that it's impossible for me to become like them, the more it feels like there's a lot going on here that I don't understand. They couldn't be wrong about the senses I just displayed, but I couldn't be wrong about me being a werewolf. And all of this doesn't make sense to me now.

Yes, it doesn't make sense to me.

Is this happening because of I'm mated to a werewolf? Is this happening because I'm mated to an extraordinary werewolf, who is a Guardian? Did I acquire some powers? Will I able to wield them in time? And once learned, am I going to fight alongside with them? Listen. I was just an ordinary human who lived in peace with my ex-girlfriend Julia, and I happened to be interested with girls and their boobies and big bums and sulky lips, and I was just a high school student with a lot of passion in basketball. And now, I'm mated to a werewolf – to a Guardian of the Werewolves – who can shift into his wolf form and kick asses and now the world is in danger and somehow I need to participate because I, according to them, have been appointed as the first Guardian of the Mortals. See, none of this makes sense to me.