Chapter 39

Eva

Red. Red. Red. Red. Red. Red. Red. Red.

That's all I saw.

His beautiful features were painted with blood in the most violent way. His bright eyes were blinking rapidly — trying to stay open yet wanting to close so badly.

I could feel my heart being wrenched from my chest. Watching the man I love in such a weak position made every single muscle in my body tighten. Tears rushed down my face as I leaped forward to reach him.

But I was yanked back viciously. And when I looked up to meet the eyes of the person stopping me from saving my love — I felt cold to the bone.

It was my father. His eyes were deep and dark. He wanted to hurt me. He wanted me to make me feel worthless. I tried my best to move around and kick him, doing anything to make his grip loosen.... but it was vice-like.

And it only got tighter the more I tried to resist him.

"Let me go," I sobbed as I looked towards Alessandro. He was laying on the floor and coughing up blood, his croaky voice trying to speak to me.

"Eva..."

The pain stabbed my chest repeatedly. I needed the agony to go away. I needed to hold my love in my arms; I needed to kiss him one last time. I needed to save him.

"Alessandro," I cried meekly. My body betrayed me as I weakened in my fathers hold. "Please don't leave me... please...."

He reached out to hold me — the terror in his eyes blocked by the blood pouring from his face. Just at that moment, my father grabbed something metal from his pocket and held it towards Alessandro, right beside my face.

A gun.

He was going to shoot the only man I had ever known real love from.

He was going to take my saviour away from me.

"No, please, please don't," I pleaded with my father though I knew there wasn't an ounce of mercy inside of his cold heart.

I felt his lips against my ear. Chills ran through my body; cold chills that felt sharp and uncomfortable.

"A girl like you doesn't deserve to feel happiness," He whispered condescendingly. "You deserve to feel pain. Agony until the day you die."

Warm tears rushed down my cheeks. The worthless feeling replaced the joy that Alessandro had given me over the last year. The girl I was once was screaming to be let back into the world. And my whole body betrayed me, allowing dejection to run through my veins.

The end was coming.

And then to confirm my curse of the past — my father pulled the trigger and the gunshot made a deafening echo through the air.

Alessandro lay there on the ground. Lifeless as his gunshot wound offered a stream of dark red blood. My breath caught in my throat and I felt my heart completely stop in my chest...

"ALESSANDRO!" My screams pierced my own ears as I choked on my tears.

He was gone. Forever...

My eyes shot up and I lurched forward in an eruption of coughing and spluttering. A sudden rattle of metal shook through the shadowy room and I felt sharp pain rushing through my wrists and ankles.

I looked down and through the silhouette of my body — I saw the shackles that were holding me to the floor.

Like a caged animal.