Chapter 18

Cleo's POV

Lewis just told me that Percy went ahead with the interview for Dr Denman's job, even though we warned him about her. What if she finds out that he's a merman? What if she finds out whatever he's hiding from all of us?

I know some people know Percy's other secret (the one I don't know), like the people from his summer camp, and I'm guessing Paul and Sally. I have a huge feeling that his secret has something to do with that summer camp- there is just something about all of the people who visited him that seems off. One of the reasons is that they were all laughing and joking, but so many of them seemed broken, it was like they had faced things that we never even thought we would face. Some of them seemed like they'd lost people they'd loved, but that could just be a family member. I know they all have dyslexia and/or ADHD, and they all only have one parent. I guess that could bring them all together, the fact that they all have that in common, but they seem to all trust each other with their lives. They all also seem to really trust Percy, more than anyone else. It seemed like they would do anything for him, and he would do that in return, even to the girl- Clarisse, I think her name was- that pretended to hate him.

Then there's Percy and Annabeth. They're on a whole new level of a relationship.

They always seem to know when each other need someone with them. I know that they've know each other since they were 12, but it's like they're so in love that they would do anything for the other. Especially Percy, he's so head over heels for Annabeth that if she told him to jump off a cliff, he would. Yet, she doesn't seem to take that for granted, she doesn't use him (from what I've seen), and she would do the same for him.

All of the people from Percy's summer camp seem like warriors in their own way. I can't explain it.

Finally, there's still the feeling I get when I'm near Percy, the feeling that I should bow to him. It wore off for a couple of days, but it's back now, even stronger than ever. I'm trying so hard to resist it, every day when I'm near him, I almost drop to the floor in a bow. I don't know why, and I don't think Percy knows we have this urge. It always seems like he's our King and he rules over us, but he's just a merman, like we are. What is the class system with the mermaids? Maybe the human-turned mermaids are lower down than the people who are born them? Maybe they have some sort of monarchy, and Percy could be like a prince or something. Maybe he's like an advisor or something sent to watch us to see if we can be trusted.

These are all highly unlikely, but Percy almost definitely was a merman before the other week, I'm pretty sure about that. I just want him to trust me, to tell me what he's hiding. I want to know he trusts me, because I finally trust him. I know he isn't evil, or here to kill us, and he knows who we are now, he hasn't exposed us to anyone at all. I can trust him, and I just wish he'd feel the same. We're family, we're in this together. We both have tails, so we need to stick together.

Percy's POV

I vapour travel to Grover and see him outside of camp, surrounded by monsters, one of them being my old friend, the Minotour. "Hey beef head!" I shout at him, trying to distract him and the rest of the monsters away from Grover. The Minotour turns and snarls at me, drooling even more than I do (only in my sleep though). "Miss me?"

Before the monsters can reply, I bring out Riptide and slaughtered the Minotour. This makes the all retreat and run away. Huh, they're a lot more cowardly then they used to be. Or I'm scarier, but I doubt that.

"Perce! You came!"

"Hey G-man. Now, what was it about Annabeth?"

"Well, you know we got the demigod-safe phones?"

"Yeah?"

"Well, they don't actually work that well. They were given a virus of some sort, and it made them give off an even bigger signal than before. Annabeth was about to call you, she pulled out her phone, and well," He stops speaking all of a sudden.

"What?!? What happened to Annabeth?" I ask, well shout. I can't have my Wise Girl dying on me. Not today. Not ever.

"She let off a huge signal, and it drew the monsters to camp. A whole army of them marched on us, but they couldn't get into camp. Annabeth was faring well against them, but there were too many for her to face on her own. She was getting injured, and battered. She was almost beaten! Nico, Will, and I went out to help her. Will took her to the infirmary while Nico and I took on the monsters. Nico told me to IM you, (I couldn't call you because you would have sent out a signal to the monsters), you had to know about Annabeth."

"Did they survive?"

"I don't know. Nico was gone by the time I got back to the monsters and they surrounded me. Luckily you got here. We'll have to go to the infirmary to see them."

We run into camp and go to the infirmary. I notice more new campers looking at me, and asking those next to them questions. One of the ones I catch is, "Who's that? Is that Percy Jackson?" They ask in awe. I don't like this attention, it makes me feel weird. 

"Yes, I'm Percy Jackson." I say to a group of them. They gasp and start asking me even more questions, most of them starting with, 'Is it true that...' 

"I have to go now. I'll answer your questions later, I promise." I say as Grover drags me to the infirmary. 

I walk in and hear Will Solace call me over, "Percy, I've got some bad news.. Annabeth, she..., she........"

AN

First things first, I'm sorry I haven't updated in quite a while- I've been pretty busy and haven't had chance to write much.

Next, thank you for all the support I've been getting for this story so far! I honestly thought I would never even get to 100 reads, let alone over 3000! 

Finally, this story is coming up to a close, and it will probably have about 25 chapters total. They'll start to get longer, and the end is near...

I hope you're enjoying the story, and see you (well not really, but it sounds good, so roll with it) next time!