𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐎

𝐍𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐌𝐁𝐄𝐑

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐎: the stranger in the woods

CINDY HARRINGTON PUSHED a heavy sigh from her lungs, her brother's maroon BMW jolting to a stop, the insipid building that was Hawkins Middle School loomed in her peripheral, a bitter residue hanging in the air that surrounded her.

 The dread of another long school day hibernated itself in her bones. Cindy blinked slowly, her hand heavy as she lifted it to open the car door. She could feel Steve's eyes on her, silently rushing her out of the vehicle. 

She swung her backpack over her shoulder, tucking her hair behind her ears as she leaned into the car slightly, grabbing her coat.

"Bye," she murmured in Steve's direction, regretting not putting her coat on as she shivered in the early November breeze.

"See ya," He had sighed back at her, his similar chocolate brown eyes 

She had closed the car door softly, stepping back slightly as her brother drove towards the neighboring high school in an instant. 

The girl turned around slowly, her feet planted as if she were standing in a pit of vines, stretching and twining themselves around her ankles, pinning her feet to the ground.

In the distance, Cindy spotted the three familiar faces of her friends, a comforting sight to see in the early hours of the morning.

However, as she walked towards them, the warm comfort that jostled in her gut chilled, cracking and freezing over with complete and utter apprehension.

Her eyes searched the parking lot madly, darting back and forth, looking for the one person missing from their usual posse.

Will.

Guilt swirled itself in her stomach, stinging the back of her throat as she breathed in and out sharply, lungs tightening and shriveling inside her ribs like rotting fruit.

He hadn't called her the night before, and he wasn't at school.

He had been right there, she thought to herself. Right there beside her, bikes pumping in unison, breathing together as the wind whipped through their hair.