Afternoon Drives

"Lulu? Where are you?" I heard Jonas calling my name as the front door shuts.

"Lulu!?"

His voice was raised and he sounded so irritated.

I walk out of my room quietly, I really didn't need Nova waking up, and head out to meet him.

"Jonas what's wrong?"

His body whips in my direction and he runs over to me before grabbing my face with his hands and kissing me.

"God I missed you so much lulu" he says resting his forehead on mine.

"Jonas, what's going on with you?"

He lifts his forehead off of mine and pulls away slightly, I could see it in his eyes, he was hurt, and I wanted to fix that.

"How about we go for a drive? Just us?" He asks with a hopeful tone.

I slowly nod my head. A smile appears on his face and he links our hands together before leading me out of the apartment.

He rushes me down to his cherry red '64 cutlass and hops in the drivers seat after opening to passenger side door for me. He starts his car and the engine roars to life.

"I can't believe you still have Bessie" I tell him as I run my fingers along the dash

He chuckles beside me as he switches gears and starts to back out of his parking spot.

"Hell yeah. Bessie is my best friend. She ain't going nowhere" he says patting the wheel.

I smile at how happy he looks, but then his face changes. The look he showed me before was back, but I couldn't read it. I didn't know what was wrong.

"Jonas?"

"Yeah lulu?"

"Are you okay?"

A small smile appears on his lips as he grabs my hand and laces our fingers together.

"I'm fine lulu"

"Jonas I know somethings wrong, please tell me."

He glances over at me and his deep brown eyes study me.

"I'll tell you, but later. Right now I want to just hold your hand."

I knew taking long drives calmed him down, it was always his thing. When he was mad or stressed, he always drove.

When he turns his attention back to the road I saw his jaw clench. He was really upset about something. I decide that listening to music would help, so I turn on the stereo.

"Oooo I love this song!" I say as I turn up the volume.

Jonas chuckles beside me as I belt out the lyrics and dance around, banging my head until the song eventually ends.

"Damn lulu, I didn't know you had those moves in you."

I smile and blush at him. I glance up at him and catch him watching me. His brown eyes bore into me as a storm swirls in his irises. I really wanted to know what was wrong, he was starting to scare me.

We turned off the highway and onto a back road. I didn't know where he was taking me, but I trusted him. I glance over at him and notice his jaw is still clenched and he forehead is creased, the grip on the wheel was so tight his knuckles were white.

I gently place my free hand on his arm and lay my head on his shoulder. I wanted him to know that I was here for him. His body relaxes as he lets out a deep breath. He pulls off to the side of the dirt road and parks the car before unbuckling his seat belt.