~ one ~

circa 1957

     "What?!" I shrieked, standing up out of my chair from the kitchen table.

     "John. It isn't so bad..." Aunt Mimi mocked me. "There ye go. Yer overreactin', again! No surprise there, I guess."

     "What the Hell do ye mean it ain't that bad?! Do ye even hear yerself? ...What abou' Stu and Pete? They're my only friends!" I complained.

     "Ye'll make new, better friends." Mimi tried to assure me. "C'mon, John. Level with me here."

     "It's not so simple, ye know that?" I sighed. "Stu and Pete... they mean the entire world to me! I mean, we've finally got a whole band coming together! ...Can ye even comprehend how important that is to me?"

     "Well, we've got no choice anymore!" She groaned,"Yer gonna have to learn to... atleast tolerate... Penny Lake."

     "I don't have to tolerate shit! Ye can't force me to!" I shouted. "This is my home town, Auntie, and ye can't take me away from here! Me own Mother was buried in this place, how could ye jus- Christ, ye don't think at all, do ye?"

     Mimi gasped, "...Well? Have ye had enough? Go on upstairs if yer gonna be that way!"

     "...Ain't no skin off my teeth!" I replied, heading towards my bedroom.

     Aunt Mimi took in a deep breath before placing a hand upon my shoulder, continuing her statement whilst I still glared at her with anger.

     "John. Listen to me. I need you to just... give it some time, we both have to leave ...everything behind. Not just you. Either buck up or- ...or try and find somewhere else to live by the end of the week!" Mimi growled, standing up aggressively from her seat.

     I cursed her name in my head, thinking about the transition it'll take for me to adjust to a whole new town. Mimi isn't usually so adamant or stubborn like this, so it's a bit of a shock.

     I've never even heard of Penny Lake in my entire life! And I know England like the back of me own hand. Mimi did say it was a small, woodsy town and... it's pretty much the complete opposite of Liverpool. More importantly, she said it was hours away from here.

     How will I ever get used to that? How does she expect me to do that so easily? I get that living in Liverpool ain't exactly cheap, but is this necessary? Without barely any notice?

     I, at last, bolted up to my room and slammed my door shut behind me, weak sobs leaking out of my lips.

     Stu and Pete are going to be devastated, just as I am. It's really not so easy for me to befriend people. I've been told by some that... most others think I'm a tad unapproachable, or something. I couldn't help but laugh a little when I found that out.
I'm just me.

     "I don't need this," I laughed, "I don't have to 'adjust' to anythin' that I don't want to!" I whispered to myself, laying on my flattened, old pillow. "She must've finally lost it."

     I am just so acclimated to this city, so comfortable in it, it's like a part of me at this point. My Mother, who I barely ever got the chance to really know, is buried right here. Plus, how will I ever find new band mates? People who really share that same, deep musical interest? Not that Stu and Pete were exactly virtuosos or anything, but they were willing to give anything a try.

     "Why now? Why can't she move away once I atleast graduate Secondary School? Give me a bit more time to–" I huffed, turning to look out my window. "Christ! Why do I have to go, too?"