Chapter 42, Mercy

A/N: Trigger warning

A/N: Trigger warning. Read this chapter carefully. It's a gang book after all. 

I can literally feel how everybody turns to stare at Xavier and me

I can literally feel how everybody turns to stare at Xavier and me. I can hear the whispers rise up. Embarrassment. I should feel embarrassment for running around - pretending to be Sterling's heir and playing a game I have no real part in. I was never even Sterling's heir.

But I don't feel embarrassment. All I feel is loss at the painful reality that my Dad truly is dead. There's no surprise awakening from the dead. He's not coming back. He'll never know the end of Harry Potter. I'll never have someone make smileys on my eggs and toast. I'll never smell his minty kind of cologne or see his bright smile.

I'm an orphan.

"How can anyone take you for your word? Do you have proof of being Sterling's leader?" Xavier suddenly asks Uncle Taminn - snapping me out of my thoughts.

I look back at my Uncle with his clean-cut beard and receding hairline. He's the reason my parents are dead... If he didn't make his false name Trebor, nobody would've thought my dad was the leader and thus nobody would've broken into our home and killed my parents.

"Proof?" Uncle Taminn laughs. "How about my birth certificate for starters? I'm the older brother. Why would the gang go to Robert? If that's not enough my phone, the one I use to communicate, has a thumb-recognising lock. Only the true leader of Sterling can open it," he says and as further proof takes out his phone to text something.

Nearly everyone's phone in the whole ballroom goes off. I look over to Xavier's phone and watch the message he reads.

"I've come back for my gang," I read to myself.

Xavier puts away his phone. The evidence is undeniable...

Right on que, Blake and Owen rush to my side. "Get out of here, Amber," Blake urges in a whisper.

"Jane can order us to-" Owen tries saying, but the speaker interrupts him.

"Come, Fiance, join me," Jane says over the microphone.