Chp. 33

Chapter 33: Finish this Bowl of Poisonous Chicken Soup

Zhang Heng tread in the night and arrived in front of the oden food cart at night. He pulled the curtain aside and sat in the small food cart. Upon seeing a customer arrive, the uncle selling oden stubbed out what little was left of his cigarette. He stood up and used a ladle to scoop and stir the hot soup in the pot.

"Young man, what do you want?" The uncle asked.

Zhang Heng used his hands to point at a few items and order a glass of wine.

While waiting, Zhang Heng looked at the image of a person on the lock screen on his phone. That person looked at the lens with an indifferent face and an expression that asked what any of this had to do with him. He sighed unconsciously.

That was why people said that one sided love was the most scary and painful.

The uncle served the cooked oden and placed it in front of Zhang Heng. He sat down and poured a glass of rice wine for himself too: "Young man, what happened? A handsome man like yourself could also get dumped by a woman?"

Street vendors grew up in an environment among common folks. It was inevitable that they would be uncouth when they spoke. However, these small street vendors often had an abundance of emotional experience. They might have been faithful to their own wives, but after doing business for a long time, they would occasionally hear their customers' emotional experiences when those customers were drunk and unable to restrain themselves from spilling the beans.

Over the course of time, the uncle could become a specialized consultant for a late night emotional radio talk show.

Zhang Heng took a piece of beancurd, blew on it a couple of times, and ate it.

"It can't be counted as falling out of love. We have yet to get together..."

The uncle was even more surprised. Even such a handsome man could still get rejected by a woman. It was really cruel! How inhumane!

The uncle folded his arms over his chest. He nodded his head as if he had a vague idea: "Is it because you did not show any affection... leading to the other's disappointment?" The uncle placed his head nearer to Zhang Heng's ear and used his hands to block, fearing that they would be eavesdropped.

Zhang Heng put down the chopsticks, drank a mouthful of wine, and asked: "What do you mean by affection?"

"For example, when you're walking together, hold her hand from time to time. When she falls asleep while watching a movie, place her head on your shoulder. When she feels sick, instruct her to drink more hot water..."

"Old fashioned."

The uncle was at a loss for words and said: "Old fashioned your head! My customers told me those are the effective ways to pick up girls!"

After Zhang Hang took another bite of oden, he said: "Uncle, are all your customers bald middle aged uncles? Just like yourself."

"..." The uncle was reminded by Zhang Heng. Indeed, that really seemed to be the case...

Faced with the uncle's speechlessness, Zhang Heng did not continue to speak. He continued to silently eat the oden.

Tokyo nights, especially late summer and early autumn nights, were slightly chilly. Zhang Heng was only wearing a thin bathrobe. Although there was the heat from the oden and the warmth of the wine, Zhang Heng still felt a slight chill through his back.

"Uncle, do you think that I should take more initiative? He is someone that is a bit aloof. He's not someone who takes the initiative. However, I don't want to be too aggressive. I am afraid I would scare him. A couple of times, I even thought of that..." Zhang Heng sighed again.

The uncle lit another cigarette. Cigarettes had always been good friends with street vendors who pushed their carts around the neon-lighted streets during those long and lonely nights,

"Well, women still want to present an image of being reserved. They hope that in front of the other party, they would appear to be a pure girl. Unfortunately, that's not the case."