Chp. 62

Chapter 62: The First Manga He Ever Read

Yes. My love is limited and defective, so I should leave Zhang Heng to someone else.

This time, I am certain that there is someone else who will be more suitable than I can ever be.

Because Ye RuiXi has admitted to liking you...

When Gu Zhun reached home, Gu Li was heating up leftovers from the day before. Because he went to the ball tonight, there was no need for Gu Li to prepare dinner for two. Given how lazy Gu Li was, it was only natural for her to make do with reheated leftovers.

Back in the days when Gu Zhun lived on campus, Gu Li often skipped meals or simply settled for a snack; since she was always home alone on weekdays, it was an effective way to save both money and effort.

Gu Zhun opened the door, walked into the living room, and looked on quietly as Gu Li tucked in. Usually, he would have told her, "You can't live on leftovers all the time, sis. You should at least be eating fresh food. If you are too tired to go grocery shopping, you can let me know. I will ask our neighbour, Auntie Wang, to help you buy some light dishes."

However, he said nothing tonight and turned away silently to retreat into his room.

His heart was racing, and the living room was so quiet that he was afraid Gu Li might hear the fierce thumping in his chest.

In his room, Gu Zhun pressed his hand against his heart and felt the frenzy of emotions resounding in his veins – the lingering excitement from Zhang Heng's touch, the raging pain and anger from Ye RuiXi's confession...

He did not know what was wrong with himself. It didn't make sense for him to be so upset from hearing someone confess his feelings for Zhang Heng. It also didn't make sense for him to run away from Zhang Heng so blatantly afterwards.

He was disappointed with himself... and he felt as if he had let Zhang Heng down by leaving without a word.

Gu Zhun took out his phone, desperate to explain everything that had happened tonight to Zhang Heng. But words eluded him.

What was he supposed to say? "I can't return your feelings; you love too much and too deeply. I'm sorry, but I am leaving you." – could he bring himself to say that?

Gu Zhun collapsed onto his bed and curled up into a fetal position.

Zhang Heng had always put Gu Zhun before himself and considered Gu Zhun's needs and wants before his own. He did this seven years ago, and he would continue to do this seven years from now.

Even in the absence of any response from the coldly indifferent Gu Zhun, Zhang Heng persevered and returned to his side every single time. Gu Zhun was the perpetual centre of Zhang Heng's orbit – one ordained by natural law, just like that of the Earth around the Sun.

The gravity of such strong feelings weighed heavily on Gu Zhun's conscience.

There was no need for Zhang Heng to care so much for him. They were both men. Even if they got together, their future would only be filled with more difficulties – societal pressures, disapproval from Zhang Heng's family... Life would be hard.

If a life together was going to be so hard, they should not have gotten together in the first place.

If you truly loved someone, you would do anything to protect them from pain and suffering.

—— hold on...

I don't want Zhang Heng to suffer? Why? Why don't I want to see him suffer?