Chapter 43, First kiss

This is for the best

This is for the best. Marigold finally gets a chance to have a normal life. I don't have to force her into marriage. This is for the best. I will be okay.

That's what I keep telling myself while standing next to Jane on the balcony of the ballroom. It's supposed to make me calm. Make me feel like I made the right choice. Unfortunately, all I feel is that emptiness in my very soul.

Jane walks down to the ballroom and we all follow her. I take out my maroon handkerchief and wrap it around my knuckles. I swear to God I will punch Jane in the face if she disrespects Marigold one more time.

We meet Marigold, Bowmen and Lynch in the ballroom. Stupid. That's what they are. They're stupid if they think they can break a pledge. I just want to yell at them to get out. Any gang, no matter that it's Sterling, any gang would surely kill them on the spot.

When Jane proposes to Kill Marigold, I feel my nails dig into my own hands as I clench my fists.

This is bigger than just you. You have to marry Jane, because in order to make the world better, you have to go bigger. Stop the South's plans. Put a bloody leash on Jane while you're at it before she can kill too many people.

To save the world, you have to sacrifice Marigold.

When men go up to grab Marigold, I feel a sense of pride as she kicks their asses. That's my Marigold. That's the girl I wish I could have.

With a cheap shot, Jane steps forward and punches Marigold in the jaw.

I let out a low growl and imagine crushing Jane's head in my hands. "Control your daughter," I order Taminn. Sterling's leader turns around and shrugs at me. He's testing his daughter. Seeing what she can do.

I stay exactly where I am - using every last bit of restraint that I have left as Marigold gets punched and brought to her knees by four other men. Four. It takes four men to hold her down. She's a fighter. And if the roles were reversed, I'd let her loose to destroy every single one of these people. I make a note to memorize the faces behind the masks of the men holding Amber down. I'll make sure to have them in my basement before the end of the week. I think I'd really enjoy removing their faces from their heads.