Chapter Nineteen: A Thousand True Lyrics

Rolling with the midnight updates. Dedicated to Andrea for the amazinnggg cover on the side! It's so gorgeous. I've been in love with the song to the side for so long and it really did fit for Reece's feelings for Jessica. Do give it a listen as you read the chapter. ignore weird mistakes and typos as usual, enjoy :) x

* * *

Chapter Nineteen: A Thousand True Lyrics

Today was the day – the day of the showcase.

Since Charlotte had told me off for being an unromantic idiot, I came up with an idea that would hopefully ‘woo’ Jessica, despite the lack of doing the actual work. I’m not a gushy romantic person, not the kind of guy that would show up at Jessica’s door and serenade her with words from the soul or anything. But I’ll admit that romance songs have a way of explaining things the way someone can’t.

I thought it was a complete long shot for Charlotte and Kyle to drop their performance-ready song for an abrupt song request from me to Jessica. But Charlotte had been all for dropping their current song for one of my choosing and, surprisingly, so was Kyle.

“The day you become whipped over a girl like Jessica is almost as insane as me signing up for the showcase in the first place; hell yeah I’ll help you,” he said with a knowing grin. I had been too thrilled with their agreement that I didn’t bother denying being whipped because, admittedly, I kinda may be whipped with all this effort.

The song I asked them to sing was a song that Jessica had been listening to during one of our study sessions. I was in the midst of a splitting headache and getting agitated, but Jessica paid no attention as she serenely rested against one of my pillows and tapped to the song Wanted by Hunter Hayes. I don’t know why I typed it up on the internet hours after she left, but the song turned out to have several true words on how I felt about Jessica.

Plus, it was romantic, and Charlotte wholefully approved.

But there was something that interfered with my anticipation of tonight, and that was the little blonde headed child who was throwing up in the toilet before I left for school.

“Just keep me updated, okay? I’m kinda getting worried,” I said to Rebecca through the phone as I walked down the halls to my second period. Chris recently has been feeling sharp pains, along with spending time in the bathroom vomiting or dry-heaving due to his loss of appetite. Rebecca had ultimately called in from work once she confirmed a fever over a hundred and would be taking him to the hospital as soon as she can.

Mr Wallace can’t possibly get pissed with my being late if I was handling family business. Seeing Chris in pain like this has me worrying like crazy. If the showcase wasn’t today and Rebecca hadn’t insisted I go to school, I’d be home with the little man, sucking it in through a whole stack of Disney movie DVDs just to give some kind of comfort. Sucks knowing I’m useless in this situation.

As expected, Mr Wallace stood as I entered the classroom, looking about ready to hand me a detention slip for being ten minutes late to his class. Holding a hand up, I said in the most sincere tone, “I’m sorry for being late, Mr W, but I was talking to my guardian on the phone. It was an emergency, I swear.” After explaining more about Chris’ ill state without the rest of the class listening in, he dismissed me to my seat as morning announcements began.