Prologue

But in the end, they all drift away

But in the end, they all drift away. // Even the ones who promised to stay.

||Three years ago||

It's been a week since you had last seen Tom which was very unusual for the two of you. Usually, you hung out in either of your rooms, listening to music, watching a movie, talking about your lives, telling each other the weirdest jokes.

Tom hadn't replied to any of your texts for days and you were starting to feel like something was bothering him. Usually he replied within a few minutes, even when he was busy. Something was off and you were scared to find out what it was.

Looking out the window in your room, you see him leave through the Holland's front door, making his way towards his car. You take the opportunity to run downstairs to greet your best friend - big mistake.

"Tommy!" He turned his head at the sound of your voice, but didn't seem too happy about seeing you.

"(Y/N), hey." He smiled.

"Where have you been, I haven't seen you in ages."

"M'busy."

"Is everything alright, you haven't texted me either? I'm worried about you." You asked, stepping closer to him.

"I'm fine." His words were cold - nothing you had ever heard from him.

"Are you sure? Because you don't seem too happy about me talking to you."

"Maybe because I'm not." He shot back at you, causing you to take a few steps back, tears starting to form in your eyes.

"W-what?"

"Oh for fuck's sake, Leave. Me. Alone. Stop being so fucking clingy. Get some fucking friends. I have a date. Bye." He said as he got into his car and drove away. This was the moment he shattered your heart into pieces - leaving a void no one would be able to fill for the next few years. Those were the last words he said to you - the words that still haunted your sleep because you had no idea what you did and why he said those things to you. After that, he never picked up his phone or replied to any of your texts, he didn't even look at you when he walked past you. Tom just stopped acknowledging you as a real person and you didn't know why, which was probably why the whole thing still haunted you years later.

That day you went up to your room and cried your eyes out, wishing you had never started being friends with him - wishing he would have never told you that he'd be there forever.

You cried because of your broken heart. You thought you knew what a broken heart was, but everything that had ever happened before was nothing like the pain you felt after hearing those words from Tom.

You cried because of the possibility of losing your best friend, your rock, your shoulder to cry on. He should've been there to fix you, to hold you, to tell you everything was going to be alright. Tom wasn't supposed to be to one making you cry in the first place - "I'll always protect you"

You cried because you go hurt by the only boy you thought would never hurt you, a boy you loved more than anything.

You cried because being 18 sucked. Why couldn't you just be 14 again? Back when it was just Tom and you?

"Have you ever kissed someone?" Tom asked as the two of you were lying in the grass, looking at the stars.

It was a beautiful summer night, the two of you were on your summer break and usually spent your nights in your garden, talking about random stuff. You were always fascinated by everything involving space and the outer universe, so this was one of your favourite things to do. The two of you were silently lying next to each other until Tom had asked that question.

"No..."

"D-do you maybe want to?" He whispered as you turned your head to look at the boy next to you.

"N-now?"

"I mean, it's the best that could happen, right? Practicing, before either of us gets a boyfriend or girlfriend. We know everything about each other... and you would tell me if I sucked at kissing."

"Okay."

"Okay?" He was surprised that you had actually agreed.

"Yeah, let's do it. I mean, it's you and me, right? All cool." You smiled as the two of you started to lean in until your lips met in the middle. His lips were soft against your own, the two of you unsure of what to do next. What was surprising to the both of you, was how right it felt to kiss each other. You may have had no idea on how to kiss back then or how to move on from that point, but you knew it felt right - like the two of you were made to kiss each other.

He was your first crush. Thinking back to that night, you never realized how much you should've valued that moment, valued the friendship you two shared - because it seemed to be over sooner than you thought.

He was your first kiss. The moment his lips met yours for the first time was the moment you realized you had fallen for your childhood friend - and there was a part of you that wished he did too.

He was your first heartbreak. Tom took your heart with him when he closed his car door that day. It wasn't until two and a half years later that Jack, your current boyfriend, came along and started fixing things. You were happy with him, he was great.

But did you forget about Tom? No.

Did you forget about what Tom said to you that day? No.

Did those words still linger in your ear whenever something seemed to be off with Jack? Yes.

Tom fucked you up and you wished you could say that you hated him, but you didn't. There was still a part of you that missed the brunette boy and his beautiful brown eyes. That part of you hoped you would one day know why he said those words to you that day. Was it your fault he left three years ago and never came back to you?

"You know, it will be us against the world - forever"

Lies.