Chapter 1

But in the end, they all drift away

But in the end, they all drift away. // Even the ones who promised to stay.

It was a Saturday evening when you were standing in front of your closet, trying to pick an outfit for the party your friends had invited you to. Summer had just begun and Uni wouldn't start again until a few weeks later. You weren't one to go out that often, but Jack really wanted to go and all of your friends would be there. Pulling out a pair of black skinny jeans and a red top, you decided that it should do great for the night.

While you were putting your make-up on, your doorbell rang and only a few seconds later you heard your mum greeting your boyfriend. They liked each other, he was being nice to you. He was the one who ended up fixing some pieces of you that Tom had broken which went a long way with your parents. You never told them why the two of you stopped being friends - mostly because you still had no idea why it happened.

Tom never said another word to you, but you knew he was living his life to the fullest. Partying with Harrison and his brothers, hooking up with different girls every week and failing his exams were the three things he did in his life. Your parents were still close friends with the Hollands and you talked a lot to Tom's brothers, but you usually avoided talking to any of them when Tom was around. You never went over for family dinners at their place and Tom never came over when your parents were hosting the dinners.

It was still painful seeing him even after all this time. Your heart still hurt every time you saw him get into his car, play basketball in front of the house and especially when you saw him bring home different girls all the time. You wanted him to wrap his arms around you and tell you that it was all a bad dream. You wanted everything to go back to like it used to be - just the two of you.

"(Y/N)! Stop it!" Tom laughed as you started another tickle fight. The two of you were chilling on the Holland's couch, Harry and Sam sitting opposite of you.

"Don't touch me!" You laughed as Tom was now pinning you to the couch, tickling your sides.

"You started this, Darling."

"You're so full of shit!" You grinned as you pushed him off you.

"It hurts me to say this, but Tom's right, you started this." Harry laughed as he watched the two of you play around like 5 year-olds.

"Are you trying to get on my bad side?" You shot Harry a look that made him raise his hands in defense.

"Stop threatening my brother! You scared him, look, now he's running away from you." Tom laughed as he threw himself back on top of you, pulling you closer and resting his face in the crook of your neck.

"Get off me!" You laughed as his breath tickled the soft skin in your neck.

"You're too comfy. And you smell like flowers and cookies."