Chapter 4

But in the end, they all drift away

But in the end, they all drift away. // Even the ones who promised to stay.

The two of you sat in silence for what felt like hours, just listening to each other's heartbeat - neither of you ready to let the other one go. You felt the wounds in your heart heal by just being around Tom, but you knew that as soon as the two of you would get up, they'd rip back open, making your heart bleed again and you were afraid it was going to be even worse than three years ago.

"(Y/N)?" your mother shouted after you as she saw you running up to your room, locking the door behind you. You felt your knees give in as you sunk on to the floor, your back leaned against the door, tears falling into your hands.

What did you do? What happened to "I'm never going to hurt you"? What happened to "Best Friends Forever"? Was he right? Were you too clingy? You always thought the feeling of wanting to spend that much time together was mutual.

Thoughts of living without Tom flew around in your head, making you go dizzy. The words kept replaying in your head, making you want to throw up. The pictures of Tom and you on your wall made you want to rip your heart out - but it already felt like he had ripped it out for you.

You heard you mum knock on your door, followed by your dad before you heard Harrison's voice. His voice reminded you even more of Tom. Nonetheless you decided you needed someone that wasn't your parents to wrap you up in their arms, to tell you you were dreaming. You needed someone to tell you that this was a joke and that Tom had just played a sick prank on you - a prank you'd get over. Someone to tell you that everything would be fine again, but you had a feeling that this wasn't what was going to happen.

Unlocking the door behind you, you felt Harrison open it carefully when he realized you were leaning against it.

"(Y/N), what happened? What's wrong?" He locked the door behind him, crouching next to you, placing a hand on your shoulder. When you didn't answer him, he sat down next to you, pulling you into his arms as you let the tears fall onto his shirt. It broke the boy's heart to see you like that, especially since he had no idea what had happened to you.

"Tom- he-" You started but couldn't get the words out. Your heart broke again just by saying his name. His face showing up in your thoughts, making you wish you'd never started being friends with him. Making you wish you'd never let him get close to you. Making you wish he never let you fall in love with him.

"Want me to get him?" Harrison asked confused. The boy assumed Tom would be the first one you'd want to talk to if something that bad happened, so getting Tom was the first thing that came to his mind.

"He- he- doesn't want me in his life anymore." You whispered into Harrison's chest.

"W-Why? What? What makes you say that?"

"He told me." You sobbed.

"Leave me alone" - The words replayed in your head.

"(Y/N), I'm sure he didn't mean it. I mean, it's Tom and you? There's always been Tom and you? He adores you." You let out a laugh at how ridiculous those words sounded. He clearly didn't.