Chapter 14

But in the end, they all drift away

But in the end, they all drift away. // Even the ones who promised to stay.

Your heart was racing and your hands were trembling as Tom nodded and motioned for you to sit down on his bed as he sat down on his chair.

"So.." he asked, fidgeting with his hands, obviously knowing that this was going to be the talk. The boy knew that the two of you needed to talk about what happened three years ago, but he wasn't ready. What was he going to tell you? He couldn't just tell you that he was too much of a wimp to tell you how he felt and that he thought you were in love with his best friend, "What do you want to talk about?"

"I think you know what we need to talk about."

"Yeah." He mumbled, looking at his shaky fingers, too scared to look at you. He knew how much he hurt you and he knew that he fucked up, but was he really going to talk about everything that was going on inside of him back then?

"First of all, I- uh, I would kind of like to know if this talk is going to be worth it or if I should just leave and we're going back to where it ended, because I don't know, I don't want this to be another one of those moments where my heart shatters into pieces, I'm-" you started rambling.

"No! No, please, stay. We should talk. I-I want to talk. I want this to work out." His head shot up, the fear of losing you again written all over his face, "Please, don't go." He begged as he let his right hand glide through his hair, showing how nervous he was.

"Okay.", you smiled at the boy in front of you, "then let's talk."

"Okay.", Tom sent you a quick smile before taking a deep breath, "I know I've said it before, but, I-I'm terribly sorry for everything I put you through. I-I didn't think and I know I messed up, but I had my reasons and I honestly didn't think about how much ... how much it would hurt you. I never meant to - fuck, I never meant to make you cry, (Y/N). This is so stupid. This sound so stupid if I say it out loud, and I'm so fucking sorry. I just - I wish I could turn back time."

"It hurt, Tom. So fucking much." You felt a tear roll down your cheek. You knew there was no way you weren't going to cry, but you didn't think it would be this early, at least not before you could tell him how much it messed you up, "Do you know how much it hurt to hear those words coming from the person you thought was the only person on this damn world who would never hurt you? I - I sat in my room for days, crying my eyes out. You hurt me, so damn much and I - I still don't know the reason. That's what made it so bad, because I had no idea what I did to make you say that. I didn't know if it was my fault, but I kept assuming that I did something to drive you away from me."

Tom wanted to wrap you up in his arms and he wanted to tell you how much of an idiot he was for letting you go, but he knew it wasn't the right time to get close to you. He knew the two of you had to talk about it before you could move on and try to be friends again. The boy felt himself hold back his own tears.