41

Rose

The city is vibrant, everything sparkles and I couldn't be more in love with it already. We finish our food, the night sky dark but the city lights everything up. The streets are packed with tourists and locals, people posing in front of every building as we stand in the centre of Times Square.
I look up, advertisement across every building in blinding lights. Its mesmerising, the city square packed and I'm almost scared I will lose the girls if I'm not careful. "This is actually insane." Darcy exhales with a huge smile on her face, Chloe lifts her camera up, taking pictures of everything she can.

The bright yellow taxis driving past as locals stand on the side of the path trying to sell CDs, artwork, merchandise. Food stalls on every corner, I almost wish I could eat again. I walk in a daze as Chloe walks next to me, taking in every second with her lens, Darcy in front looking up to the sky scrapers with wide eyes.

"Excuse me would you mind taking our picture?" I watch Chloe as she approaches a police man; he gives her a warm smile and nods his head. She gives him her camera, walks over to us; we wrap our hands around each other's waists smiling at the camera. After another three pictures she thanks him, we head over towards the bright red steps. Taking big strides up to the very top we sit down on the right side, my body up against the cool glass rail.

"This is officially my favourite place on earth." I say, looking forward. Everyone looks so happy, I watch the couple in front as he passes her a single red rose, the young family a few steps away taking pictures with their young children. The smile of a stunning brunette looking towards a man with caramel hair and tattoos on the back of his neck. I study his geometric ink as it disappears into his styled hair; I begin to wonder how handsome his face could be. His arm wraps around her shoulder as he pulls her into him, her head resting on his shoulder as they huddle together, watching the breathtaking view in front.

"So, where's M&M world from here?" Darcy asks, I take my eyes off everyone starting to look around.

"I think it's behind us this way." I tell her pointing behind her head, she smiles at me.

"Can we just sit here for a little bit longer?" Chloe asks us, I agree with a wide smile. I don't want to move at all, I could sit here all night. I take in the busy steps, how everyone is either sitting down or trying to move around the people on the steps to get a better view. I hear a laugh, a very natural laugh. I look back over to the couple about six steps down with their backs facing me, her shoulders are moving up and down. She smiles brightly at the guy next to her, he makes her happy.

Soon she's laughing again, it's real and she seems so joyful, I begin to envy her. I don't remember the last time I felt so content, the way she's looking at the mystery man, it's like she's never felt so much love for someone before.
His head begins to turn, then it hits me. Why I felt so intrigued to know the man's face, the detail of his tattoos or the colour of his hair. My heart stops, he's looking at her. His side profile hitting me, I try not to throw up at the sight in front of me. My stomach flipping erratically as I look at him, the way his lips curve when he smiles, or how his dimple appears on his left cheek. How he runs his inked fingers through his hair effortlessly, my god he's beautiful. The way he's looking at her, hurts me in a way I can barely stand. The boy who left me two years ago.

Luca. Luca is in fucking New York! This whole time he's been here!

"Rose are you alri-?" I hear Chloe ask, but her voice soon falters.

"Oh, my fucking god!" I hear Darcy shriek, I know they see him too, I can see them facing forward. He's smiling brightly at her; his eyes haven't changed. The blue bright and clear, almost like a diamond. His hair flopping over them slightly, his shoulders look broader almost, tattoos covering his neck fully and up the side of his head but just about covered by his hair.