Forty Nine: Reveal

"She knows?", Oikawa barely coughed up.

Shizuku nodded.

"Did you really think you could hide it forever?", her voice sounded ironically.

"I...", the boy couldn't find his words.

[Name]'s friend sighed deeply before turning her back towards him.

"I guess I'll better get going", she said and took a step forwards. Oikawa's voice stopped her.

"Wait", he exclaimed. "Is she", he started hesitantly. "Is [Name] alright?"

Shizuku's face contorted into almost indulgent expression.

"I assume you already know the answer".

With these words, she left the boy behind.

Oikawa suddenly felt like all his power had somehow washed away. He leaned on the wall and cursed quietly under his breath.

His mind was overflowed by images of [Name]. Her smiling face, her bashful face, her surprised face, and, above all, her crying face. The memory of the girl crying into his chest made Oikawa's heart clench painfully. She was probably alone, crying, regretting ever letting him in.

She probably thought it would have been better if she had never started talking to him.

Somehow, this idea struck him.

He didn't want it. He didn't want [Name] to regret anything. He didn't want her to hate him.

A new wave of power awakened in him. His legs started running on their own in the direction of [Name]'s house.

He knew he had no right to expect the girl to forgive him, all the more to still love him, but he had to try. He couldn't let her go without fighting. He couldn't imagine leaving without a fight.

She was the first one to notice his true self. The first one who understood what volleyball meant to him. The first one who made him feel so desperate.

He took out his phone and called [Name] once again. There was no answer, but he didn't give up. He called time after time until he reached her house gates.

He pushed the doorbell. And again. And again. And again. Nobody replied. Some vague shadow of a person appeared in one of the windows. It was [Name].

Oikawa stopped clicking the doorbell and instead called out.

"[Name], please, let me in".

Nobody opened the door.

"Please, let me explain", he tried once again.

Still no answer.

"I want you to know the truth".

Silence.

He waited some time in case she changed her mind.

But nothing like this happened.