4: "Bonjour Mademoiselle."

Chapter 4 - "Bonjour, Mademoiselle."

I wanted to look good for Nathan. Admittedly, I always tried to look good for him, but now I wanted it more than ever. Nathan wouldn't have seen me in over a week, and I wanted to make his jaw drop. Or, failing that, I at least wanted to impress him. I enlisted Hayley's help, after she'd witnessed me staring into my wardrobe with a depressed expression on my face.

"Let me see your wardrobe," she said.

"It's no use," I moaned. "Nathan's seen me in all of those clothes."

"I see," Hayley mused. "There won't be a wow factor then, will there?"

"No," I pouted.

"Stop sulking. We'll sort something out."

"My dress sense has never been adventurous though. I just wear plain, ordinary stuff."

"Well then there's more leeway to wow him then," Hayley said lightly. I gave her a sceptical look. "Think about it. If he's used to seeing you in plain dresses, then think about how much his jaw will drop when he sees you in something verging on outrageous."

"I'm not confident enough to wear something outrageous."

"It doesn't have to be too outrageous," Hayley laughed. She pulled something out of my wardrobe. "Wow! This is gorgeous! This isn't plain at all!"

I took the dress from her and studied it. Funnily enough, it was the dress I'd worn to the party where Nathan had kissed me for the first time - or rather, the party where I'd told Nathan to kiss me and had ended up running away from him, traumatised by the experience. 

Red and black, strappy and tight, with a diagonal hemline that reached high up my thigh. I remembered thinking how daring it was the first time I wore it. Although it was undoubtedly a sexy dress, that night didn't hold great memories for either of us. We liked to forget about the fake kiss and Nathan hated thinking about how much his aggression had upset me.

"No," I told her. "He's seen me in that."

"Well, there's only one solution: we'll go shopping and buy you a new dress. At least we're in the right city for it, hey?"

I really could not be bothered with shopping, but Hayley's enthusiasm gradually built up my own spirits and soon we were on the Tube, along with Gemma.

To say that Hayley took charge would be a huge understatement. Not only was she dictating which shops to go in, she was also making suggestions for dresses before we'd even seen any.

"Strapless is always sexy," she said.

I grimaced, already thinking about the potential decision between an uncomfortable strapless bra and going braless.

"What's that face for?" Hayley asked.

"Strapless means either having to wear a strapless bra, which is really uncomfortable, or not wearing a bra at all, which is undignified."

"Undignified?" Hayley laughed. "Depends how thick the dress fabric is really. And even if it is slightly undignified, Nathan will be the only person close enough to notice...and you said you wanted to make his jaw drop..."

Gemma snorted in laughter at that. "Hayley, don't embarrass her."

Was I imagining the patronising undertone to that? Maybe. I couldn't get a good read on Gemma at all. 

"I'm not embarrassed," I said. "Hayley's right. And I do want to make an impression."

"Your tits would certainly make an impression..." Hayley waggled her brows at me.