TWENTY - EIGHT

< : > : Chapter Twenty - Eight : < : >

Harlow | Phoenix | Other people

Walking over to me I immediately opened my arms to her wrapping them around her waist.

“Of course I would.” Opening my eyes as she pulled away to say hello to my family two pairs of brown eyes were watching me.

Both men were of the same skin tone as Harlow. The taller man with glasses and a full beard smiled at me as the shorter man - but still taller than me, leaned on the counter raisinh his brow at me.

“Dad, Papa.” Harlow stood next to me slipping her fingers in between mine. “This is my boyfriend Phoenix, his Aunt Justine, and his cousin Dylan.”

The man wearing glass walked towards me with his hand outstretched. “Hello Phoenix, Mrs. Derman, Dylan.” Shaking each of our hands he continued his introductions. “I’m Kendall and this is my husband Gavin.”

Mr. Gavin walked over while Mr. Kendall shook Dylan’s hand and stared at me. “So you’re the boyfriend?”

“Dad.”

“Yes Sir.” Releasing Harlow’s hand I put mine out for him to shake. “I’m the boyfriend, Phoenix Derman.”

“A Marine, hm?”

“Yes Sir, six years.”

Shaking my hand firmly I returned it with my own firmness letting him know that I wasn’t weak nor intimidated. My nerves were gone once Harlow stepped into my arms.

“Treat my baby girl right, you hear?”

“Dad.”

“Of course Sir.”

“Then we’ll get along just fine.” Letting go of my hand I felt Harlow’s slide back in mine. “Call me Gavin.”

“Of course Si- Gavin.”

“Well then.” Harlow cut in looking up to me. “I was just telling Timara, Dad, and Papa about you bringing me breakfast yesterday.”

“From Sharron!” Timara said from the counter stirring a bowl of what looked like sauce. “I’m so jealous.”

Taking out my phone I looked my notifications seeing a new text message. Leaning over I whispered in Harlow’s ear, “I have another guest outside. Do you mind if I go get him?”

“Go ahead.” She kissed me on the cheek letting me go.

Looking back to Timara as she stirred the sauce I exited the kitchen back to the front door opening it just as Prichett raised his hand to knock.

“What’s up man.”

“‘Sup Derman.” We shook each other’s hand before giving a quick hug.

“I appreciate you flying out here to come get me.”

“Little do you know I had already requested leave during deployment. It just so happened that you’re here. Plus I get to check in on the house -”