Chapter 16 - Conversations by the Sea (Feb 21)

Aditya couldn't help but smile when he saw Zoya on the terrace. She was finally out of the room. This, he knew, was a big step.

"What are you so happy about?" Arjun asked Aditya. The brothers were sitting on the lawn chairs, chatting. Arjun craned his neck to follow Aditya's line of sight. The younger Hooda raised his eyebrow at his elder brother, "What is going on between you guys?" He asked gesturing toward the distant Zoya who was leaning on the wall of the terrace.

Aditya shrugged his shoulder nonchalantly, "Nothing." He hadn't told anyone the real reason why Zoya was holed up in their guest bedroom. It wasn't his place to tell. And how could he when he himself had hidden Pooja's affair from his own family? So he had lied to them about her not being well. He knew his family especially Arjun didn't believe him. But no one said anything.

"Nothing? Really?" Arjun teased. "So you just met Zoya in Ireland and then accompanied her to Mumbai? Because nothing is going on between you two?"

Aditya sipped the tea from the cup placed in front of him and shushed his brother, "Can we just sit and enjoy the sunset?"

"Ah! Deflection," Arjun said jovially and then stated directly, "You like her."

Aditya choked on the tea, "What!" he coughed out the word.

Arjun looked pleased, "You could not be more obvious. Everyone notices how you have been taking care of her for the past 3 days, anyone can see how you look at her and how worried you were when she was unwell and now the way you're smiling at her."

Aditya's mouth hung open at his brother's perceptiveness.

He liked Zoya.

He didn't know when exactly his feelings for started evolving. Aditya knew that when she was with Yash, his feelings for her would never be reciprocated. After the truth about Yash had come out, he didn't have any time to think about it. All he wanted was for her to start recovering and now she was. That was all that mattered to him.

"Zoya... is going through something," Aditya confessed, "And I am supporting her just as a friend. She needs a friend right now. Not anything else."

He liked her, he did. He hadn't said it out loud to himself let alone anyone else. Telling her was not an option. Not now, not ever. Her wellbeing was more important to him than his feelings for her. He was not going to be selfish.

"Whatever it is, I am happy that you are smiling again." Arjun remarked.

---------

Sometime later, they headed back to the house for dinner.

"Is your friend not going to join us tonight too?" Harshvardhan asked.

Aditya shook his head without looking at him.

"She has been living in our house for 4 days, holed up in the guest room. I want to know what exactly is happening with her," Harsh demanded, "Are you both in some trouble? Has she eloped with you without telling her family? Are you having an affair?"

"No," Aditya answered back with equal ferocity, "I told you before- she is a friend and she is not well. Can't we spare one room in out massive mansion to help a friend in need?"

"I have no qualms about her staying here, but," Harsh pointed a finger at his elder son, "If there is some serious issue behind all this and the media gets a sniff of any potential scandal-."

Aditya interrupted, "Don't worry, dad. Your reputation won't be harmed." He pushed back his chair and got up from his seat. "I am not hungry. Anymore."