Ch 24

I breathe deeply trying to calm myself down. I hear my cellphone ring and dig through my purse trying to find it. I see its Corey and answer it. "Hello."

"Hey, are you busy?" He asks, I hear the background chatter and know that he's working.

"No, whats up?"

"Just letting you now we filed the report and talked to your neighbors and the building manager. Apparently, this has happened before to a nice couple on the first floor while they were on vacation. The way we figure it was the same people who robbed them. Probably a neighbor that knows how often you are out of town. Unfortunately, I can't go searching all the units for your stuff and until they either confess or get caught, our hands are tied." He explains, apologetically.

"Its fine. I'm not too upset about it. I have the afternoon off I'll head over and start cleaning up the mess."

"Its already been done. At least what I could tell this morning around 8 o'clock when I saw the cleaning ladies going into your place."

It doesn't take me long to piece together this one. "Alix, must've taken care of it."

"Your knight in shining armor, huh? I heard he gave Uncle John a job, too." He replies, and I can practically hear the smirk on his face.

"Dad knows how to work heavy equipment. We need more workers that are qualified to run the machinery. It wasn't a handout." I say, defensively.

"I didn't say it was. Just damn convenient to have a rich boyfriend to fix all your problems." He replies, teasingly.

"Bite me, Corey." I reply, angrily.

He laughs. "Clam down, Tiny. I'm just messing with you."

"Well, I've had enough for today. Trust me." I say, the tears welling up in my eyes again. "Dammit!" I shout, wiping at them annoyed. I start walking aimlessly, focused on breathing.

"Are you crying."  Corey asks, shocked.

"No." I deny, as I breakdown and start sobbing.

"Whoa, Tiny. What the hell is going on? You never cry." I hear the concern in his voice and try to pull myself together.

I sit down on the curb feeling sorry for myself. "I just quit my job."

"Wha-why?" He asks, confused.

"Because, our secret is out. Now, everyone knows about us and they're treating me different." I cry, digging in my purse with one hand, trying to find a tissue. "I'm so stupid." I pout.

"At least you have your looks to fall back on. Look at, Jenna. Now, there's someone you can feel sorry for. She's ugly and stupid." He jokes.

I giggle at his depiction of his sister, my other cousin. "Jenna's, going to kick your ass after I tell her what you said." I reply, warningly.

He scoffs. "She knows. We lost a lot of mirrors because of her. We finally had to tell her." He says, laughing at his own joke.

I giggle. "Thanks, cuz." I say, sobering up.

"No problem. Feel better." He replies, seriously.

I sigh. "I will. Bye."

"Later."

I end the call and look around the parking lot, I have no way to get home. I rode with Alix to my parents house. My car is still at my apartment complex. I hear the doors behind me open and ignore it. I bring up mom's phone number, but before I can hit send I hear what sounds like glasses clinking together and get distracted. I look over to see Robyn carrying a box filled with a glass vase filled with flowers, her stationary holder, another plant of some kind and various mugs. My mouth drops.