29

"Tell me something, Ellie

"Tell me something, Ellie. How is it Valentines Day already?"

It was a warm day inside the castle even though it was a cloudy day outside. 

"It isn't. Fifteen days, Silas, it's not Valentines Day just because you want it to be."

Ellie was doodling in her Potions book while Silas beamed and breathed in the fresh scent of lunch spread out on the Ravenclaw table. Her blue eyes briefly flicked over to the Slytherin table, where she saw Nikolai, Draco and the rest of the Slytherin gang hunched over something Nikolai had in front of him, which had to be one of his journals, as he sat in the centre of them all. Silas looked at her and followed her eyes, to which he scoffed. Ellie had told him everything as soon as he returned to Hogwarts.

"Look at him! Could he be any more obvious? He looks so shady," Silas spat bitterly, looking away from the Slytherins.

Nikolai hadn't spoken to Ellie in a few days, but when he returned from the holidays he beamed at her like nothing happened. And then he drifted away, and she assumed that he was going on about things he didn't want her listening to...yet.

"I wish Malfoy would hurry up and nick that journal."

Ellie shook her head at the Ravenclaw boy. "No. He said he's not going to until—"

"—until next year, yes I know. It's silly and pointless. Might as well nick it now and save you the trouble of having to put up with the daft toad for the next however many months."

Ellie groaned and dropped her head onto the table. "Months?! You just had to remind me didn't you."

"Sorry," Silas said, turning red. "At least, you know, not all of them are bad."

"It's only Malfoy that isn't," Ellie mumbled, focusing back onto her drawings. She was drawing the owl she saw perched by Malfoy, as the beauty of it had caught her eye and she just couldn't resist. "And he's probably just pretending. That story he told —"

"Yes, as terrifying as it is, it's definitely the truth. I mean I believe the whole thing simply because it's Nikolai Orlov. Only problem is everyone here thinks that the sun shines out of his dunghole."

"Hmm," Ellie murmured, taking a sip of her pumpkin juice.

"Plus, Malfoy's into you."

The pumpkin juice stopped halfway down Ellie's throat and she choked, coughing and dropping the half-full goblet onto the table. Silas jumped back and raised his arms.

"Bloody hell, Silas!" Ellie coughed, clearing her throat.

"What?" Silas said innocently.

"What do you mean what? Don't say things like that."

"Well...it's true. Silas sees all, Ellie. Silas sees all. I knew how Nikolai saw you from the start and now I know how Draco sees you."