Chapter 14

EJ's POV

I was going to mind my business; Jeff gets upset all the time so this was nothing new. However, it seemed different this time. I couldn't tell if he was much angrier than usual or if there was something else besides anger in his eyes as he slammed his door shut.

I decided to let him 'cool off' for a bit before trying to talk to him, because if I confronted him right away, I'd probably leave with multiple stab wounds. I sighed and walked away, going down the hall and to my own room.

I found ways to kill time until dinner was ready and then I went into the dining room. As usual, my senses were flooded so I took a few moments to calm myself. By the time I was no longer being overwhelmed, dinner had been served. I couldn't be more thankful for (Y/N) each time we ate.

I noticed that she acts as if she couldn't care less what we want to eat each night, but in reality she does her best to accommodate everyone. Within a few weeks of living here, she managed to get a pretty good idea of how everyone liked their food and what foods they liked and didn't like. So while she'd say things like 'you get what you get' or 'food is food, don't be picky' she still cooked Jeff's steaks Medium Rare, gave LJ varieties of candy on the side, added sprinkles to everything Sally ate, and found creative ways to incorporate kidneys into my meals.

If she really didn't care, (Y/N) would have just cooked whatever she felt like and served it to us, not taking into account individual tastes. I was glad she was nice to us in this way and very thankful for it.

Whenever one of us cooked, something always went wrong. For me, it was mostly that no one knew how to handle a kidney or they all just assumed I'd eat the kidneys by themselves.

Don't get me wrong, kidneys are great, but I can eat more than just kidneys.

While I ate, I silently observed everyone at the table. I guess you could say that's my thing: observing. I tended to notice the small things about people, but also the bigger things that you have to dig deeper to find.

Anyway, while scanning the table, I noticed that Jeff wasn't at dinner.

"I guess he'll starve" I thought, mentally shrugging my shoulders. It didn't seem like anyone else noticed he was gone, or if they did, they didn't care. Then again, Jeff went through moods a lot, so it was nothing odd if he didn't show for dinner sometimes.

When I finished my food, I decided to finally speak to Jeff. I walked casually to his room, one hand by my side and the other in my pocket holding my scalpel.

I knocked on the door and heard a silent 'go away', so I opened the door and went inside, shutting it behind me.

"What's going on?" I asked, thoughtfully.

"None of your business." Jeff replied.

He was hanging off of his bed, staring at the ceiling. There were fresh holes in the wall, accompanied by several knives. His room was trashed, but knowing Jeff, it was probably like that before he got upset.

"I'm just curious as to what's so different about whatever got you upset this time. You just seem... a different kind of upset." I explained, leaning against the wall.

Jeff grunted and rolled himself onto his bed.

"What are you a therapist now too?" He asked, scoffing.

I clicked my tongue in response.

"While I'm not certified, I did take a few classes back in college and I have been told that I'm good at listening and giving advice. Come on, just tell me what's going on." I urged him.