Chapter 4

The sun was up and high in the sky, its rays of heat warming the forest after the inimical storm the night before. Birds chirped happily as they flew. Other little woodland critters went about their daily everyday lives. The closed buds of flowers bloomed. It was as if the storm had never occurred, but muddy puddles and dripping wet leaves and shrubs said otherwise.

At the cave entrance, Kelly sat in the high grass, still in her underwear. Laid out neatly on a large rock not far from her were her wet clothes. Since the sun was out, Arachnia put the girl's clothes out to dry. While she waited, Kelly occupied herself by picking daisies. Arachnia sat down some distance away, fiddling with a handheld device used to contact the Decepticons. The back panel of the device was opened and wires were sticking out. This was the only way Arachnia could communicate with her chosen faction, but due to Earth's fluctuating weather patterns it was difficult to send a signal through the atmosphere. She thought that perhaps if she can in some way boost the power to the device's sensors, she would be able to make contact with them and give a report of her findings. Arachnia was consumed in her task, almost forgetting that she had company when suddenly she was given a soft reminder.

"You are my Sunshine...My only sunshine..."

Arachnia's helm spun around in surprise when the sound reached her audio receptors. Kelly was still busy doing her own thing, but even though her eyes and little hands were focused on what she was doing, words were slipping from her mouth in the most melodious way.

"You make me happy when skies are grey... You'll never know dear how much I love you..."

Arachnia tried to ignore the singing and resume her work, but the sound still penetrated through. Arachnia was not annoyed, simply curious.

"Please don't take Sunshine away..."

No matter how much she tried, Arachnia could not ignore the questions that were eating away at her. Still keeping a neutral but also curious gaze on the human girl, she sat the communicator down, stood and approached Kelly. Kelly took no notice of Arachnia as she made her way over, continuing to braid the flowers together and produce those beautiful sounds.

"The other night, dear, as I lay sleeping... I dreamt I held you in my arms...

And now that you're here my dreams waking...And I will keep you from all harm..."

Arachnia slowly sat down. In a way she found the sounds soothing and it unknowingly relaxed her. Arachnia had not been this relaxed in ages.

"You are my Sunshine...My only Sunshine...

You'll never know how much I love you...but please don't take my Sunshine away..."

When those mesmerizing words came to an end, much to Arachnia's disappointment, Kelly finally realized she had an audience. The human girl blushed in embarrassment. "Uh...he-hello..." she stuttered.

Arachnia did not acknowledge the girl's obvious embarrassment, only staring at her silently for a moment longer before speaking. "What was that?" She asked.

Kelly scrunched up her face in confusion as she replied, "What was what?"

"That...thing you were doing. It sounded like you were talking to yourself but... the words came out almost melodious."

"Ooh! You mean my singing! Wait..." Kelly's face became bewildered as she stared at Arachnia. "Don't you know what singing is?"

Arachnia frowned. "Of course I do."

"Then don't you know what songs are? Do you know any songs?" Kelly asked.

"The only songs I know are painful," Arachnia grumbled, recalling Blitzwing's obnoxious singing.