In This Town of Halloween

Varian and (Y/N) are 19 here.

Also, I know this is badly written, but I'm ill and I wanted to put something out. I might edit it in the future.

----------------------------------------------------

"Is everyone okay?" A voice asked through hoarse coughs, smoke peeling across the floor as the room came back into vision.

You coughed yourself, your chest heaving as you hunched over, clearing your lungs of the gas.

You blinked away the tears which had formed in the corners of your eyes, and looked around the room. But what you saw... what you saw made your eyes dry instantly as you widened them rapidly.

"Oh my God," you said under your breath, and Rapunzel looked at you, or at least, you thought it was Rapunzel. She was donned in a flowy white dress that seemed to disappear into mist as it billowed around her feet. Her hair was braided in its normal fashion, except for the fact that it too, was fading in and out at the bottom. Her face was paler than usual, and her freckles were of a blueish hue, like little droplets of rain on her skin. Her eyes were a paler green, but she didn't look sick. She looked... magical. More than usual.

"Woah, Raps, you look weird," Cassandra said from the corner, except... it wasn't really Cass. Standing where the voice came from was Cassandra, except, she kinda looked... dead. Her eyes were visible through layers of bandages, and they were cold and white, the skin around them grey and peeling.

"How so?" Rapunzel answered, turning round to Cass, before yelping and clasping her hand over her mouth.

"Cass, oh Cass, what happened?" She fretted, and began to look around the room at everyone else, her eyes settling on you.

"(Y/N), you look really pretty!" Rapunzel said softly, still shocked. You raised your eyebrows and turned to a mirror, which still had smoke reeling off it.

You wore a green dress which looked to be embroidered with leaves, flaring and cutting just beneath the knee. Your hair hung over your shoulders, and there were flowers threaded into it. Your feet were bare, but they felt light and airy, like you weren't really standing on everything.

"Get the book," you said authoritatively. You turned around as you watched Rapunzel walk - no float - over to the desk, where she picked up a large leather-bound book.

"Oh no," she whispered, and everyone flicked their eyes to her direction.

Eugene walked forward. He wore a large white coat, and a pair of goggles over his eyes. His hair was messy, which would have given him a heart attack if he knew.

"What does it say?" He asked.

--Record Scratch--

Okay, you should probably explain.

See, Halloween was fast approaching the excitable kingdom of Corona, and everyone was abuzz about it. It was a running challenge to see who could get the best costume, and well... you were quite the competitor. So, you and the gang had thought that you could use magic to get the best costume.

Stupid, right?

Yeah, well you saw that now.

-

-

-

"Well... we may have actually be transformed into monsters..." Rapunzel mumbled, biting her bottom lip.

"What!" You yelped. Rapunzel nodded, flipping the page to the book.

"So it looks like I'm a wind nymph, and (Y/N) is a dryad. Cassandra is a mummy, and Eugene is a... mad scientist?" Rapunzel looked confused as she spoke.

"Hey are you guys okay in there?" Stan shouted from outside the door.

"Yeah, Stan," Rapunzel yelled, eyeing you all to stay quiet.

"It's just... we've had reports from all over the kingdom that people are... well.. they're turning into monsters, your majesty," Stan gulped, and you all widened your eyes.

"Monsters, you say?" Rapunzel squeaked as you all looked at each other; mortified.

"We'll keep it in mind, thank you Stan," Cassandra yelled out. You listened to Stan's footsteps, heard as they disappeared down the corridor.

Then a sudden thought hit you.

"Gotta go," you said in passing, as you rushed out of the door.

---------------------------------------------------------

"Varian?" You yelled, standing in the open doorway of Varian's lab.

"(Y/N), is that you?" You heard him reply, his voice somewhat distant.

"Are you okay?" You shouted, unsure.

Silence.

"No, not really. (Y/N), what the hell is going on?" He replied shakily.

"Can you come here, please?" You asked, clattering audible as Varian presumably climbed down a ladder.

He turned around the corner, and on first glance, everything was normal.

On first glance, that is.

"What's going on?" Varian repeated, the glint of his sharp canines present as he spoke. You fiddled your thumbs, and looked up into his eyes, which were glowing red.

"We may have accidentally... done something," you mumbled, smiling slightly. There was something about him... he looked the same but something just seemed so different.

Good different.

Varian stepped closer, his head tilted down at you slightly. In response, you looked down, and Varian rebutted by placing his hand under your chin and softly pulling your gaze up to him. He was awfully close.

"Something?" He questioned, and you could feel his breath on your skin. It made you shiver, and you shifted your eyes away from his.

"We accidentally cast a spell and turned everyone into monsters," you whispered, and Varian placed his hand on your cheek.

"What are yo-" Varian cut you off as he pressed his lips into yours, the warm embrace causing your knees to buckle. Varian pulled away, his face colourless, but you could imagine a blush would be there under normal circumstances.

"Magic isn't real," he whispered into your ear, and walked off.

"Fix this!" He yelled as he left, disappearing behind the columns of metal.

You touched your lips softly, and smiled to yourself, and a couple of flowers grew out of the ground by your feet as you did so.

You begun to run after Varian.

Of course you were going to fix this, but you might as well enjoy it first.