Chapter 7

C H A P T E R  S E V E N

Zach's P.O.V.

"Zach?" my mom asked with concern. "Is everything okay?"

I nodded as I put my books into my book bag. Apparently I've been feeling a bit off since the party, because I'm still shaken up by its events. I never want to be in that situation ever again for as long as I live. I haven't told my parents about the incident, because they'd tell me that I wasn't allowed to go to any parties anymore.

They're so overprotective, but that can be a good thing.

"Isn't that like the fourth time in the past day that you've asked me that?" I inquired, putting my book bag by the front door. "I'm okay, really."

"If you insist," she replied, giving me a pat on the shoulder. "You've just seemed a bit off."

"I'm fine," I reassured with a smile once again on my face.

To be perfectly honest, I'm still quite scared from Saturday. It really shook me up and the memories kept popping into my head. They just wouldn't leave me alone.

I heard the front door open a few seconds later as Mom called out, "Hayleigh! Time to go!"

"Coming!" Hayleigh's high voice exclaimed as she ran down the stairs from her room.

I heard Hayleigh's loud footsteps rush out the front door and I followed behind, scooping up my book bag on the way out. Almost at once, I felt cold drops of rain fall upon my head. Putting the hood up on my sweatshirt, I continued outside.

Honestly, I love the rain, especially when it's a bit warm out. It feels so refreshing and a bit comforting at the same time. Not missing a stride, I opened the passenger side door and climbed into the car, setting my book bag between my legs onto the floor.

I felt the soft rumble of the car's engine starting as it pulled into the street. Then, I felt the acceleration of the vehicle as we embarked towards school.

~•~•~

It had seemed a bit like Kelsey waited for me in front of the school, because when I first got out of the car, I heard her gentle voice exclaim, "Hey Zach!"

Almost immediately after, I heard Hayleigh scream from the back seat, "Hi Kelsey!"

I heard Kelsey laugh, and I did too as I then called out, "See you later, Mom! Bye, Hayleigh!"

"Bye, Zach!" she replied, with Hayleigh echoing the same words a few seconds after.

A huge smile spread across my face as I turned around, facing the school. I started walking towards the front doors, hearing Kelsey's quiet footsteps next to mine. We both were quiet, because I was unsure what to say. She was probably the same way

"You okay since what happened on Saturday?" she asked, breaking the silence after a couple minutes.

I hesitated a little bit before replying, "Yeah, I'm fine, thank you."

Her voice still seemed concerned as she inquired again, "Are you sure? I'd honestly be pretty freaked out after that."

"Let's just say that it'll be a party I won't forget," I laughed a bit awkwardly. "In all seriousness, thanks for inviting me," I added on, not missing a beat.

"Sure, no problem," answered Kelsey, her tone becoming a bit lighter with her response.

The last thing I want is for someone to be worried about me. I hate when people worry about me because they overreact. I'm just a normal person, right?