Tattoos

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Riley asked as she watched her best friend with a weary look on her face.

"Oh come on Riley, its just a tattoo." Maya told her as she was looking at all the different prints on a page that she could get.

"Yeah, but Maya you're marking your body forever. Are you sure you're not going to regret it later?" Riley asked seriously. Maya looked up and smiled.

"Relax, Riles. It's just a small number on my back, not that big of a deal." Maya told her.

Today was Maya's eighteen birthday and she wanted to do something that would make her remember it. Today was her first day as an adult and she could make her own decisions. So she made the decision that she would get a tattoo to mark the moment.

"Have you even spoken to your parents about this?" Riley asked as she watched one of the guys that was a tattoo artist start making his way over to where they were standing.

"No, but its not like they can do anything about it. I'm eighteen." Maya reminded her causing Riley to sigh before the tattoo artist made his way over to them. 

"What can I do for you ladies?" He asked before Maya started into an explanation of what she wanted and where she wanted it.

~

It was about a week later when Maya was able to take the tape off of her new tattoo and accept it as a part of her body. Riley still wasn't sure if Maya had made the right decision in getting the tattoo as she started to get nervous for Maya about what her family would think.

Everyone was meeting at the Matthews house for a BBQ for Maya's birthday since she wanted to spend her actual birthday with Riley. Josh had even come by from college to spend the day with them to celebrate. Hoping that maybe he could get a talk in with Maya sometime before he had to go back.

"Maya, can you get some glasses out please?" Topanga asked as she noticed that she was the closest one to the kitchen. Maya smiled as she went and to grab one from the cabinet, but she was too short. So she had to stand on her tippy toes causing her shirt to ride up and everyone in the room to go completely silent.

Maya turned around and smiled as she held some glasses in her hand, but her smile faded as she saw the looks that was being given to her. Some angry, some shocked, and only one was trying to hide the smirk on his face as he realized the situation on hand.

"Maya Penelope Hunter, What is on your back?" Katy asked. Maya bit her lip as she awkwardly put the glasses down on the counter and then turning back towards her parents.

"Its a um- a tattoo." Maya said nervously. Katy eyes widened as she looked at Shawn who just looked shocked.

"Who else knew about this?" Katy asked. Cory and Topanga looked over at Riley who was nervously biting her nails.

"Riley?" Cory asked.

"Dont blame Riley, she tried to talk me out of it. I got it on my birthday." Maya told them causing Katy to take deep breaths.

"Maya, do you realize how permanent a tattoo is?" Shawn asked.

"Yes I do, I didnt get it thinking that it would come off in the shower a couple of days later. I knew what I was doing." Maya admitted as she crossed her arms over her chest.

"Maya's eighteen years old, she's of age to make her own decisions and I dont think that a tattoo is that big of a deal. It could be worse." Josh stated causing shock in the room. Maya smiled as she looked at the ground and bit her lip.

"Josh's right. As shocking as this is, Maya is an adult now and she can do whatever she wants." Shawn said.

"Within limits, she still does live in our house." Katy said. Maya sighed as she noticed this was causing conflict between her parents.