Chapter 36

I wasn't sure how long I sat on the shore for.

An hour, maybe two or three.

Then again, it could have been all day. I remember eating a sandwich that I packed awhile ago. When was that? Most likely around lunch. Or was it? All I knew was that the sun was beginning to set and I hadn't moved. Just a few seconds of standing up and shaking out my legs and quickly running into the water to feel the cold water washing up over my feet. The sun was fierce today and I probably was resembling a lobster. Probably shouldn't have gotten so distracted with everything else. My sketchbook, Monster, and empty iced coffee lay beside me, sloppily stuffed inside my purse. Just for this moment I wanted to soak in the beauty that was the Meditterranean Ocean. It was just so stunning. Light bouncing off waves. Water crashing on the shore. Breeze blowing through my hair. I had no idea how good or bad I looked, but I felt like I was in some beauty product commercial. Only this was way better. 

With all the craziness that was Liam Hawthorne, it felt good to just take a moment to relax on the beach and smell the salt water air. I was coming to the realization that whatever I wanted to happen, wasn't going to. It pained me to finally come to terms with my original thought that Liam had only kissed me because he could and I was more than willing to just fling myself at him. Every day I wanted to slap myself for being so foolish! What kind of person does that? We hadn't exactly made some sort of inseperable bond. Yes, I liked him. Even after all this, I liked him. But he wasn't going to do anything and I was too stubborn to do anything myself. Idiot, was the word the resonated in my head. Whether it was describing him or myself, I wasn't sure. Just... idiot.

I shook my head furiously, attempting to stop the thoughts. There's no time for this, Camille! You've decided. It's done. You are going to move on and forget about the whole situation. If Liam wanted more, he would have said so by now. Yes, he would have told me by now. Stop pining for him. He's not coming. I'll make my own happiness.

I inhaled deeply, closed my eyes, and fell back on the sand. Yeah, once you stop thinking for a second, you realize how great everything else is.

"Mind if I join you?"

Dang. Should have known.

Nothing stays perfect forever.

I looked up to see Liam standing before me, wearing running shorts and a T-shirt drenched in sweat. Earbuds were hanging loosely from the neck of his shirt.

Gesturing for him to sit, he quickly abided before I could change my mind. 

"You're crazy for running in this weather," I told him as I sat up and he laughed.

"Probably. I don't think I've ever sweat so much in my life."

"Ew," I said while chuckling at him. "Why would you run in this weather, anyway?"

"Read something that beaches are the best place to exercise. Something about the salty air clearing your lungs or the sand adding resistence. You know what, I'm not even sure."

"You're still crazy. You have sand sticking all over you."

"I love sand though, it's annoying in your house or car, sure. But the feeling of it between your toes and –," He stopped and looked at me. "You don't care. Sorry, I'll stop."

"No, I completely understand. Beaches are my favorite. The salty air, the sand, the water. Everything about it is invigorating." I sounded as silly as he did, but perhaps when you have nothing to lose, you manage to lose your filter.

"But it's relaxing too! I mean, falling asleep on a beach? Bliss." He fell back onto the sand, only covering himself in the tiny pebbles more.

"I hate the LA beaches. Way too crowded and dirty for my liking."