Chapter 3

Adelaide

It's like time has frozen. I can't even think. I come up blank. Staring at my father, he says nothing. Minutes go by before turns on his heels and is about to leave the room. My panic starts to set in.

"FATHER!" He stops dead in his tracks and turns slowly.

I feel my tears pricking my eyes, making my sight blur. I can't see his face but I can feel the anger radiating from him. "Please your majesty, please I will do anything. I can't marry him," I look down at my feet.

I can feel him getting closer. He raises his hand and I flinch, but, instead of hitting me, he holds my face and lifts my eyes to his.

"You will do anything I say because I am your king. This is no trade. Do as I say or you will regret not trying to kill yourself again after your first attempt."

I feel my heart crumble to a hundred pieces. Yes, I tried to kill myself when I was ten. I was stupid. I heard that the poison berries that were all around the castle were poisonous enough to kill a human, so I took a whole bowl and ate it, wishing that I could end this spiral of pain. Unfortunately, I woke up 3 days later only with a stomach ache.

After the suicide attempt, father was nice to me, but only for a couple of days and then he was back to being himself again.

"What do you choose?" Tears roll down my cheek like a waterfall. If I stay I will get beaten to a bloody pulp and if I marry the king I will get raped, beaten and probably killed. Getting killed doesn't sound so bad though.

"I will marry the king of Pollemperie."

The moment he walks out of the room I close the door and start planning my escape. If I had chosen to stay I would be getting beaten now, but if I chose to marry I would have a week to escape, and that is exactly what I am going to do.

I take all my clothes from my closet (not that there is much, only two ankle length dresses that I sewed myself). I take my pillow and empty all the feathers in the closet. I put the clothes inside the pillowcase and hide it under the bed.

I go down to the kitchen and look if anyone is in there.

"Hi, honey. Do you want me to fix you a plate?" Elenor says

I contemplate if I should tell her but I wouldn't want her to get punished for helping or not informing the king and queen. "Yes please," I answer. I need the energy and strength for when I run away.

"Here honey," she hands me the plate and I start to eat. I didn't even realize how hungry I was until I started eating. I couldn't really think about food after everything. Elenor leaves since she is done cooking dinner. I hurry inside the pantry to take some food with me for when I leave.

I am rummaging through the stored food when I hear my stepmother.

"Where is she?" I go completely still. If she finds me in here she will know what I am doing.

"Maybe she went up to her room again, your majesty," I hear Elenor say.

"That little..." I don't hear more. She's leaving. I can finally breathe again.

I take two loaves, some cheese, and an apple. I run upstairs to my room as fast as I can. Oh hell, I forgot to bring some water with me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I hope you enjoyed this chapter
Remember to vote and comment
See you in the next chapter