Chapter 45, Losing everything

A/N: Warning, short chapter

A/N: Warning, short chapter. The original was longer, but I felt so unmotivated to write it over. Alas, at least I have something for y'all.

The first thing I did when Lynch got shot, was nothing

The first thing I did when Lynch got shot, was nothing. The second thing I did was fall to my knees. Even with the lights going out and gunshots blazing and hell breaking loose, all I did was crawl over to this curly-haired boy.

Tears of shock blinded me as I reached out and felt the warm, sticky hole at the side of Lynch's head. Felt the blood getting pumped out like a fountain. The more he bled out, the less he bled out - his heart no longer pumping to get the blood flowing.

I pull his limp body onto my lap - blood everywhere as I try lifting his head so I can take a good look at his face. His eyes are open - in horror like the moment he hot shot is frozen on his features. Those big brown eyes suddenly don't look the same. Don't look like his eyes.

"Wake-up, wake-up, Goddammit!" I begged the kid. But even while I refused to believe he won't ever brag about his hair, there was a part of me that knew there was no way he can get through this one. There was no miracle recovery or coma this time. It's just death. Death he never deserved.

"Blake, get up! Blake you need to get up!" I heard someone order from far away.

"Fuck-off," I replied and only held Lynch tighter - his blood staining my clothes.

I always end up losing. Everything. My father. My brother. My gang. Calvin dying. Jack being a traitor. Liam disappearing with Jessica. Amber... And now, Lynch. The last person I still had. Why am I always the one making the sacrifices? Is it because I'm a shitty person? Because I deserve this?

"Lynch isn't the last person you had," that person pressed. Wait, I was saying all that out loud? I looked up and of course it was Owen - his mask ripped off.

"I have nothing left to lose," I whimpered - tearing off my own mask.

"Yes you do. You still have a mother. And Goldy. And... and me. We're friends now, Bowmen and I'm not letting you die while you're on your knees. I'm not letting you die while you still have to redeem yourself. Get up and get out of here," Owen ordered.