strong little bird || Batmom & Dick

Warning(s): Angst

A/N: Someone--hello you--mentioned that there's almost no angsty fic about one of the boys dying in the reader's arms. Well, your girl lives to serve and here you go!

Enjoy!

::

God, oh god, Dick was on his back, face facing up where he could see some stars littered across the dark blue ink of the sky through his blurry gaze. The pain on his side was hurting so bad, it probably a large gash. Mom's gonna be so mad, he thought.

He might have been a little reckless this time--maybe 'a little' didn't cut it. He screwed up, big time and his mom was not going to be happy with this. The first time he officially became Robin he had promised that he would be super careful, even making a pinky promise and said promise was also hung on his walls in a form of a handmade poster they did together.

His eyes were so heavy, his head was pounding and the buzzing--someone talking?--in his earpiece didn't help with the pain either.

He should've apologized, she was just worried. His mom was right when she said he didn't look well. He wasn't. He had a fever, not too bad until it could make him lose his focus but she said it was better to not take any risks.

"I can't risk to lose you," she had said, the pain in her beautiful eyes were visible and the way her hands were clasped across her chest as if to soothe her clenching heart was a dead giveaway of what she was feeling. "You're sick so please, don't push yourself too hard."

"I'm not," he insisted, fixing the utility belt with a satisfying snap before he could reach for it though, her hand had grabbed it first, clutching it to her chest.

"No," she sternly said, eyebrows knotting as she stared at him even then her eyes still held so much motherly affection towards him. It reminded him so much of his own biological mother it actually pained him. He remembered that she was also this stubborn when it came to his safety. "Go back to rest, Richard Grayson-Wayne."

Then he snapped. His eyes blazing with anger, he wasn't sure why he was mad for but before he could stop it, his mouth already forming the hurtful words.

"Shut up," he wasn't screaming, no, he wasn't that much of a screamer when he was mad. His voice was steady, stern and it made everything two times more heartbreaking. He emphasized every word, pointing a gloved finger at her, "you are not my mother. You are just someone who Bruce happens to be married with and becomes an adoptive mother. You don't have to pity me, Mrs. [name]. I don't need to be pitied."

He spat out her name like it was poison.

With that he snatched his mask, pretending to be oblivious to the tears running down her delicate face like a waterfall as he walked out of his room, each fat drops fell and left dark spots on her favorite shirt, a blue shirt with little silhouette of flying robins across the chest area, they bought together on a shopping spree with an unfortunate Bruce.

When he opened his eyes, the view of stars above had been replaced by her crying face, a mask around her eyes did nothing to cover her eyes just plain mask without the lenses like his, the moon looked like it was right behind her head and if his teacher asked him what he would describe her as he'd answer an angel, she always had been even when the hoodie covered her beautiful hair to conceal her identity from the world. She seemed so real too, he could almost feel those fat drops of tears falling onto his face.

"Oh my baby," he heard her sweet, breathy voice cooed as he felt his body being lifted up then his head was on her lap, he grunted in pain when her hands pressed against the gash on his side to stop the blood. He wasn't imagining after all.

"It hu--ts," he croaked, he didn't cry for her sake but he couldn't help the little complaint in his hoarse throat. "Why... a-you here?" geez, he couldn't even talk like a proper human.

"Shh, I'm here for you," she hushed, pressing her soft, quivering lips against his forehead. Her salty tears stung the little scratches on his face yet he didn't complain he needed her comfort. "Don't speak yet, you're bleeding so much, baby. There's so much blood, I can't--Batman is going to be here soon. Keep your eyes open, yeah, for me? I'm sorry if I have been such a bad mother figure," no, you are not, he wanted to say but his mouth only parted stupidly. She continued, "I promise to do better,"--you don't need to--"please, hang in there. You don't have to call me mom I don't care just please, please, my strong little bird. Hang in there."

She would always be his mom, he needed to get better and apologize but for now, he would comfort her.

His hand shakily lifted up, weakly cupping her cheek as he flashed the most reassuring grin he could muster in his state anyway at her. The pain kept him focused, the familiar revving of an engine was heard then.

"He's here, thank god--" she sounded devastated and relieved at the same time, "Batman! Hurry up, please!"

He was lifted back up again by much stronger arms and his body lightly shook as he was carried away from the scene. He watched her as she followed, wiping her tears with a relieved smile.

"You will be fine, Robin," Batman's deeper voice soothed. He too was worried, Dick guessed. "Just so you know, a punishment from Alfred is waiting as soon as you recovered."

Oh, how much Dick wanted to groan in protest right now.

::

TADAH! A happy ending, Dick's alive don't worry!

I hope you like it :> my brain is already smoking from writing too much XD

Since it focused on Batmom so much I put her instead of Dick Grayson on the title :))