To Start A Fire [S2:E15]

| April 3 | Tuesday Evening |

~ Sam's POV ~

I had found throughout the day that it was better to stay distracted, which was one of the reasons I had picked up Jas' shift tonight. Megan was right. I shouldn't be worried about Mariah or who she could tell about us. She probably wouldn't tell anyone of importance considering she didn't know anyone from Baldwin except for me and Jas.

Tonight, it was supposed to be Quinton and Sara, but unfortunately Quinton had called out, which meant Mariah was coming in to cover. The only good thing was that she wasn't coming in until six, so I had a few hours to prepare.

"You know Jas is sleeping with Mariah, right?" Sara asked as I helped her stock. "It's not really fair."

I sighed. "I'm not condoning it."

"It's just gonna make Mariah think she can get away with coming in late and high as a fucking kite."

"Not if I'm managing," I finished.

"If Danna finds out..."

"Sara," I cut off. "I'm handling it."

She gave me an unsure look but dropped the subject. I couldn't be mad at her for being frustrated with Mariah. When one employee underperformed, it made everyone else suffer. Sara had to pick up Mariah's slack often, which meant long, strenuous nights bartending. It wasn't easy. And having coworkers that hurt you rather than helped wasn't ideal.

But I couldn't look for another bartender without risking Jas getting upset or Mariah flipping her shit and possibly telling Danna I had smoked on the clock.

The hours started passing, and eventually we got busy enough for me to have to help Sara a bit. It was nearing six, which meant Mariah should be here soon, but at this point, there was no guarantee.

Then, my girlfriend walked through the door.

At first, I was excited, because I hadn't wanted to bail on movie night, but now that she was here all was well.

Until she sat at the bar.

"Mariah knows Nikki?" she asked.

I was taken back. "What?"

"I ran into Nikki on the way out of school and we had this exchange..." Megan revealed. "Nikki knows you don't own Jinx."

"She could've found that out from anyone," I admitted. "Do you want a drink?"

"Just pour me something." She rubbed her temples. "You know what I like."

I did as I was told, pouring her a draft beer and sliding it in front of her.

"I saw Nikki talking with someone this morning, and I'm pretty sure it was Mariah," Megan said.

"Why do you think it was Mariah?"

"Because of her hair," Megan continued. "And because Mariah doesn't like you and knows Nikki doesn't like you and probably wants associate with other people who want to ruin your life."

"That's a bit dramatic, don't you think?"

"No."

I wanted to stay calm, because it was likely Mariah and Nikki had gotten together. Nikki probably came often when I wasn't managing, and Mariah worked a lot. They could've bonded while I wasn't around, especially after the whole relationship shift between me and Mariah.

"Sam..."

I pulled myself out of my head and looked at Megan. She looked worried. Like, really worried. I felt guilty for all of this happening.