36-Runaway

The cameras flashed as I attempted to hide my face. I was wearing what practically every socialite wears when she's part of some scandal: big sunglasses, a conservative dress, and a pair of heels that the everyday joe probably couldn't afford. My lips weren't painted with the usual red. No today they were a muted pink. My hair was carefully curled and it bounced every time as I walked to the car waiting for me. The crowd called my name.

"Peyton! Ms Stark! What are you thoughts on the video?" A reporter near me calls, shoving his microphone near me. I ignore him and how much it might pain me, I keep my head held up high and my back straight.  I carefully slid into the car, Happy shutting the door behind me.  I buckled my seatbelt. Starks have issues with cars.

It takes awhile for me to arrive in front of Matt and Foggy' building. I carefully get out, one leg over the other. There isn't any paparazzi here, thankfully. So I'm allowed to slouch every so slightly when I walk from the car into the building. Happy says to text him when I need a ride. I smile and nod in return before slipping inside. I take off my sunglasses and I grip the bannister, forcing myself up the stairs. Even with all of my training, I can't make my footsteps silent. They're loud and clunky and make my face burn in embarrassment. My wounds are burning when I reach the top of the stairs. Matt and Foggy already have the door open for me.

"Peyton Stark! My favorite Avenger!" Foggy cheers as I walk into the office. I smile, stepping out of my heels and leaving them by the door. Matt gets up, walking over as Foggy carefully hugs me.

"I'm guessing Matt told you to be careful with hugging me." I ask with a smile and Foggy shrugs, grinning. Matt has reached us at this point. He hugs me carefully and kisses me, then he kisses the top of my forehead.

"You guys didn't have to invite me over for breakfast." I tell them, getting the sinking feeling that they are only doing this because of what happened with the video. Karen comes in just at that moment, holding a bag and drink carrier.

"Well we didn't invite you over for breakfast, we invited you over for coffee and bagels." Matt cheerfully says, his arm wrapped around me. I chuckle, ignoring the gnawing at the pit of my stomach. Karen smiles at me and waves.

"I'm glad to see you, Peyton." She says and I nod. I turn my focus onto Matt again. He has a cut on his face, which makes me furrows my eyebrows. He must've went out last night when I didn't come over. Was he pissed about the video? He had to be.

"Can you guys excuse us for a moment?" Matt asks before leading me into his office. I sigh as we walk in and he shuts the door. I close the blinds and sit on his desk, arms crossed.

"Are you guys going to try to pursue any legal action against Barton?" Matt asks, his voice quiet as he leans against the wall. I shut my eyes, tilting my head up.

"I didn't come here for legal counsel, Matthew." I respond and he clenches his jaw.

"You guys are just going to let him walk free?" Matt shoots back, his voice hushed. I slouch as I sit on the table. I didn't want to talk about Clint with him. His name sound like something dirty when it came out of Matt's mouth. I hated it.

"Matt, this isn't that simple. I wish I could just press charges like that, but I can't." I murmur back, looking at my boyfriend, "Too much is on the line."

"For who? For you? Or for him?" He was mad over the video, over what Clint had done. Foggy must've told him what the video was of.  And me saying that I couldn't come over last night because of it probably didn't help. Of course he didn't know that I had spent the night crying while Pepper and Tony consoled me.

"Matt, you don't understand. I don't have a reason to press charges against Clint." I try to explain, biting my tongue. Matt's knuckles are bruised and covered in fresh wounds. I can see the dark circles under his eyes. He didn't get much sleep either.