Chapter three:Taka's point of view

Ahadi carried Taka back to the pridelands, and Taka could tell that he was in for it. His father was breathing heavily, and every step he took felt like it shook the pridelands. What had he done wrong? Why wasn't he allowed to be friends with an outlander?

Uru and Mufasa were standing on top of pride rock waiting for them. Mufasa started bounding towards them. "Taka, is everything ok?" He asked, then saw his father's expression and laughed awkwardly, timid. "I mean, hi dad. Did you...get everything situated?"

Ahadi dropped Taka down rather harshly and walked past Uru. "Mufasa, come." Taka's brother's ears went down in fear. He turned to Taka to say something when Ahadi boomed, "Mufasa, now!!!!" Mufasa quickly scurried after his father, leaving Taka and Uru alone. Taka sat down and hung his head.

"I can't seem to do anything right." He said, and Uru tried to comfort him.

"Your father's in another one of his moods, Taka. He's very stressed."

"But why did he get so worked up about me meeting Zira?"

"Zira? That's the young lioness outlander you met today?" Taka nodded. "Is her mother Huduma?" He nodded again.

"Do you know her, mother?"

"Yes." Uru answered. "Huduma was my best friend."

"Was?"

"Before I became queen..." She paused. "Before my kind was banished to the outlands.

"Your kind, mother?"

"Taka, no one knows this about me but the outlanders and myself, of course, and now you."

"I'm not sure I understand, mother."

"Taka," Uru started. "I'm an outlander."

"What?!!!" Taka exclaimed. "But how???"

"I was born an outlander, but a pridelander took interest in my mother after my father died. So, I grew up around the pridelands, but was allowed to go home whenever I pleased. Huduma was my best friend in the outlands. She was actually there with me when I met your father." She hung her head. "Shortly after I met Ahadi, my mother died, and so my stepfather watched me. He forbid me from going to the outlands, I never saw Huduma again. After he died, I was a full-grown lioness, and he was the last pridelander who knew my secret. So, when I became Ahadi's mate, no one knew that they had an outlander for a queen. And no pridelanders know to this day."

"So, Mufasa and I are half outlander?"

"Yes, and even your father doesn't know."

"But why did Dad banish the outlanders from pride rock?"

"Because he feels that full pridelanders only deserve to live in the pridelands. This was after my mother died, so while my family, friends, and all the world I had known left to the outlands, I had to stay and watch as a cub with my stepfather. You see, cubs born in the outlands, they had to stay in the pridelands. Even though no one knew me to be an outlander, it wouldn't have mattered. Huduma's family weren't allowed to take her with them. This was prince Ahadi's first decree. He believed that if the cubs could be raised in the pridelands, then they could end their 'outlandish ways'. So, I had to see my best friend be held back from following her family and assigned to a pridelander couple to take care of her."

"Then, how did Huduma end up in the outlands?"

"Mohatu felt as though his son had gone too far. He changed the decree so that the cubs could join their families in the outlands. I had to witness Huduma and the rest of the cubs being tracked down to get them back with their families."

"Boy, I bet Dad hates me for meeting up with Zira in that case."

"Taka, your father doesn't hate you. Go spend time with him and Mufasa." She smiled at her son. "Go while you have the chance to."

Enlightened by his mother's comforting words, Taka scampered up to the top of pride rock.

He walked around the corner and saw his father talking to his brother. In the sunset, the king's brilliant black mane looked almost red. He silently walked towards his father and brother, as Ahadi was finishing his sentence.

"-and there will be a great celebration, with all of your friends, and they will be in high places as well."

"What are you two talking about?" Taka asked, sitting down beside Ahadi.

"Father's telling me about when I become king, and the mating ceremony. That's only in a few years (Author note: because well, animals age faster than humans), and Sarabi and I have been joking around that we're gonna be mates and Ujasiri's gonna be our main guard. We agreed that you'd be the leader of the lion hunt. She said that she has two friends that could be the leaders of the lioness hunt."

Taka laughed softly. "Looks like you've got it all planned out. What about my mating ceremony?"

"Ooh!!!" Mufasa exclaimed, excited. "We should totally start planning that!!!"

"What do you mean, your mating ceremony, Taka?" Ahadi asked. Both cubs instantly became confused.

"Well," Taka started. "I mean when I become old enough to mate, and while it won't be as big as Mufasa's, I thought maybe my friends could all celebrate with m-"

 "I mean when I become old enough to mate, and while it won't be as big as Mufasa's, I thought maybe my friends could all celebrate with m-"

"What do you mean, 'your friends'???" Ahadi started laughing. "You think that you would actually have someone that would want to mate with you, Taka? Or want to come to your mating ceremony? Who would you even mate? That little bratty outlander from earlier today?" Taka began to get tense.

"Zira is not a brat." He said, growling. "At least she acknowledges my existence." He felt so angry. "She loves me more than you ever have." Then he ran away from pride rock, Mufasa yelling after him.

"Taka, wait!!!! Come back!!!"

"Mufasa, get back here!!!!" Ahadi yelled, but stayed where he was. "Ugh, why was I cursed with such an idiot son?"