Chapter 20

Rose's POV

She was gone, right before my eyes. I was sobbing, my best friend just died right in front of me and I couldn't do anything about it.

"You fuckers are going to pay for that," I growled as they picked me up. "Get the fuck off of me,"

"Wait, I want her to see her little friend die just like she wanted," the boss smiled

"Jeff, I'm so sorry this isn't what I wanted. I was scared of what everyone would do if they found out and it was easier this way. I regret it because I love you like a brother and I don't want you to die,"I cried trying to get my hands loose from the rope. It was starting to move a little bit, giving me some hope we could get out of this mess.

"Oh fuck you, now that we are both about to die you apologize. You wanted me dead! Your wish is coming true, nobody will know your dirty little secret." He sneered at me red in the face. I really did regret my decision to call a hit on Jeff and everything I had said was true. One of the Cobras pointed his gun at Jeff who was 10ft away from him.

"Say goodbye," he laughed putting his finger on the trigger. My hands broke free allowing to push away from the two guys that were holding me. I ran as fast as I could towards Jeff in an effort to save him. A loud bang went off and I felt pain in my side.

"Ah fuck," I screamed holding my side. There was a lot more people talking and guns being fired. My vision was blurred and I couldn't make out anyone.

"Princess!" Stephen's voice rang through the air

"Stephen, I've got her. Go and finish what you guys have started," Jeff said before his hand brushed some hair out of my face. "Rose, you just took a bullet for me." He said and I tried to give him a smile. "I forgive you. I understand why you did what you did. And thank you for saving my life,"

"Sorry, I'm such a bad friend," I whispered my head was pounding and I was getting sweaty. "Jeff, I don't feel good anymore," before it all went black.

"Rose," I heard my name being called. "Oh come on Princess. I'm so mad at you but I'm so scared I need you to wake up," it was clearly Stephen hovering over me. I could still feel his presences even half conscious.

"Shh," I groaned pulling my hands on my head. A sharp pain in my side made me let out a loud scream. I opened my eyes to find Stephen and Jeff and a few others kneeling beside me. Where was Violet? "Oh my god!" I screamed remembering more of what had happened moments ago, "Violet's in the water! We have to help her," I tried to sit up only to have them all push me back down.

"Violet is fine, Andy went and got her. She is breathing again," Jeff smiled at me everybody else seemed to ignore me.

"Someone help me up! I need to go see her!" I complained before Stephen grabbed under my armpits hoisting me to my feet. I hunched over a little bit leaning on Stephen for support. They had patched my wound while I was passed out but it was still bleeding. Stephen walked me over to where Violet and Andy were sitting.

"Vi! Are you okay?" I practically screamed at her trying to hobble over as fast as I could.

"I'm fine. What the hell happened to you?" She asked.

"I got shot. I jumped in front of it to save Jeff." I said and She raised her eyebrows looking shocked.

"Noble of you. Stupid, but noble. We need to go to the hospital." Violet said and I chuckled and agreed.

"You two have some major explaining to do," Stephen and Andy said at the same time. I paled at the thought of having to tell them the real reason we called a hit on Jeff. They were going to hate me and I was in love with Stephen. He was going to hate me too. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't kill me.

"Violet had nothing to do with this. It was all my plan, Jeff knew what my job was and I was scared he was going to tell you all. So I called the cobras after stealing the number from Stephen's phone. I hired them to kill Jeff so my secret would stay safe. When they came to get Jeff we happened to be with him and they took all three of us." I spoke softly hoping maybe this was all just a dream. Stephen backed away from me his blue eyes piercing into mine.

"What is your job?" Stephen inquired I gulped a lump in my throat formed. "What is your fucking job, Rosalie?"

"I'm in the CIA," I said barely audible tears streamed down my face, my bullet wound hurting each time I took a breathe in.

"You're in the CIA?!" Stephen almost laughed he looked psychotic right now. His eyes were wide and his posture was relaxed. I started crying even harder seeing this.

"Stephen, I-" he cut me off before I could even start

"I don't want to hear it, Agent," he growled at me like I was some kind of disgusting trash.

"Stephen please," I begged almost falling to my knees. His eyes softened a little but his jaw remained clench along with his fist. Violet grabbed my arm slinging it over her head. "It was just a mission at first for me. I was excited the CIA had been after you guys for so long and couldn't get anything on you. So you can imagine how hyped I was when we stumbled across you guys at the ball and you took a liking to us. I didn't know how great of people you guys were until it was too late. I had already told them about the situation and they had me stay undercover. But what I didn't realize was that I was going to fall in love. I never thought I'd actually fall for someone on a case. After I realized my feelings for Stephen, I wanted this to stop. But Jeff had already found out and the CIA had found out Jeff knew about me. So they took him and we're going to kill him but I saved him. He didn't go to visit his sister, he was captured by the CIA. Jeff told me I could trust him, I failed to believe that. I was taught never to trust anyone. I knew it was a matter of time before my secret came out so I called the hit. It was far too late when I realized I didn't want to kill Jeff. They had already taken us. I'm so sorry for everything and I'll just get in a car and go to the hospital myself. I'll forget you guys ever existed and move somewhere far away from here. Stephen, I'm sorrier than you'll ever know. I'm sorry that you liked me and thought I was a good person. I'm even more sorry that I love you and I was selfish. Looking out for myself and not those around me." I pulled my arm away from Violet.

"Rose, please don't do this," she begged

"Violet you're happy here and you love Andy and he loves you. That's all I've ever wanted. For you was to be happy. You have a great job and now a great group of people behind you. Just let me go," I wiped a tear away before running toward one of the black SUV that was still running. My side was on fire I needed to get to the CIA so they could fix me. If I went to the hospital too many questions would be asked and they might find me. I put the car in reverse and sped out of the lakefront.