thirty-two: benjamin lee

With a rather violent flinch my eyes fly open, the sound of somebody knocking at my door echoing through the apartment waking me. I sit up groggily, feeling distant and hot as I stand up. I have an almost instant head rush as I stumble over to my front door and peek through the peephole, and my eyes slowly focus onto my best friend standing on the other side.

The weekend had arrived, and just days after bailing on Peter for one study date, well, not date, but...I instantly remember I have plans to hang out with everyone at Ned's place, and once again, I completely forgot and don't feel up to it at all.

I open the door slowly.

"Hey," Peter says happily, with a dorky grin. "I just came to pick you up I guess." He laughs nervously at the end of his sentence, and I reach up to tuck a piece of frizzy hair behind my ear.

Well, shit, how do I even say it? "Uh, right, y-yeah...I'm really really sorry Pete, I just don't think I'm up for it today."

"What? You were so excited..." He trails off, looking concerned. "You called me Pete. What's wrong?"

"I'm fine, I just don't feel too swift, I just woke up from a super long nap and stuff..." I lie, offering him a small smile.

"Mads, you don't have to lie to me."

"Peter, I'm okay. Really. I just think I'm getting, like, a cold or something." I murmur, smiling. It falls quiet and he holds eye contact with me, his brown, puppy dog-like eyes filled with concern.

"...Okay." He murmurs with a sigh. "Well, I hope you feel better. I'll tell Ned and MJ you're sick...if you change your mind, though, please call me, yeah?"

"Of course," I smile. "thank you." Peter nods slowly with a smile and turns to leave. I watch him walk down the hallway for a bit, contemplating back and forth in my head. I watch him leave, and then return to the apartment.

"What was that all about?" I flinch as I hear Lucas's voice from the armchair in the living room.

"I forgot you were here." I mutter before retreating to my room.

"I'm curious," he calls.

"It's none of your business!" I respond before digging through my dresser, searching for my suit. I quickly strip down and change into it before dumping my backpack out on my bed before dropping my phone in and zipping it up. I slip into my sneakers and tie them before peeking my head out of my room and calling for Lucas.

"I'm going out, remind Mom that I'm at Ned's, okay? Please back me up."

"Are you actually going to his place?" He responds.

"What do you think?"

"Fiiiiine, I guess I'll back you up." He sighs.

"Thaaaaank you," I call before turning to my window and sliding it open. I silently crawl outside and slide it back closed whilst sticking to the wall, before climbing to the roof of my apartment building and looking around, taking a deep breath in. The air is fresh and crisp, and I let out a small sigh. I leap from my roof to the next one on the right, then the next, and the next, and so on. I swing further and further from my apartment building until I stumble across something suspicious.

I spot a older-looking man being cornered by two younger boys, looking to be only about two years older than I am. One holds a knife and the other blocks the old man from running away.

With a sigh I leap from my position on the rooftop down to the sidewalk, just beside the group of men.

"Let's just get this over with." I mumble under my breath before ducking from one of the boys' swings.