t h i r t e e n

Chaeyoung quickly placed her finished cake on the stove before turning the oven off. A small smile crossed her face as she inspected the baked good and determined it was perfect for the receiver. She then set a timer for it to cool, and went to work on the frosting.

Dahyun's words kept playing in her head as she prepared Mina's surprise. It was so weird and unusual for Dahyun to dislike somebody that much. But, she had no reason to dislike Mina, right? Perhaps it was jealousy that Mina was getting more attention than her. Right?

But...the picture. Even though it was rude of Dahyun to steal it, there was something odd about it. Why would Mina keep something like that out in the open? For anybody to see?

"You should really keep your door locked," a familiar voice said, interrupting Chaeyoung's thoughts.

Her heart began to race, especially since the surprise wasn't ready yet, and from what Dahyun told her. She rushed out the kitchen, smiling when she saw Mina locking her front door.

"Aw, you care about me then?" Chaeyoung teased.

Mina rolled her eyes, but a hint of a smile was on her lips. The smaller's heart skipped a beat as she approached the older.

"I never said that. Anyways, why am I here?" Mina asked, walking around the homeowner.

"Well, I wanted to give you something. But you came here too early, so it's not ready."

Mina chuckled. "It's a cake, isn't it?"

Chaeyoung didn't respond, but she felt the tips of her ears grow hot as she went and sat on her couch, beside Mina.

"I swear you're trying to get me fat, huh? What for? So I'll stop running away from you and your love?" Mina joked, leaning back against the couch.

"That's not a bad idea!"

"It's a joke, woman."

"Funny you mention my love for you, actually..."

Mina raised an eyebrow in question. "What?"

"You see...I was making a cake in order to confess my love for you—"

"Look. Chaeyoung, you're a nice girl and all, but we really can't. I'm just...I'm not the type of person to have a relationship."

Chaeyoung felt her heart deflate at Mina's words. She understood that Mina could probably be self-conscious or something and that's why she doesn't want to date. But Chaeyoung was constantly proving to her that she was perfect the way she is. What more could Mina possibly want?

Unless...

...unless it was just Chaeyoung. That Mina simply didn't want her and never would. And going after her was completely dumb and useless.

"Oh," the smaller sadly said, her eyes cast downwards.

"Yeah. Sorry. I've been trying to tell you since the beginning, but you're stubborn."

Mina chuckled and that caused Chaeyoung's heart to flutter.

"I was always taught to go after what I want..." Chaeyoung trailed off, not knowing what else to say.

"But," Mina rushed to say, "that doesn't mean we can't be friends! I, um...I enjoy your company, honestly. Especially since I don't really have any friends here. I appreciate you and all you do for me."

Chaeyoung began to smile at being appreciated by the older. It may not be her own love confession, but it was something positive. If Chaeyoung continues with what she's doing, then maybe—just maybe—Mina will actually start liking her. More than friends.

She just had to keep going.

I finally know how this will end, and the ending will be coming up soon! :D