𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍

𝐍𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐌𝐁𝐄𝐑 

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍: the flea and the acrobat

CINDY HARRINGTON RAN a hand through the blonde tresses that rested on her lap, the other laying carefully between Eleven's frail shoulderblades.

The girl was exhausted, sprawled out on the couch, laying on her stomach, with her head perched on the Harrington's lap and arms tucked in at her sides.

"What was Will saying?" Mike asked from the opposite side of the couch where Cindy sat, his hands nestled in his jacket pockets.

"Like home...Like home...but dark?"

"And empty," Lucas added from across the coffee table, his elbows resting on his knees, head in his hands.

Dustin sighed from beside him. "Empty and cold. Wait, did he say cold?"

"I don't know," Lucas shook his head as he lifted it from his hands, "That stupid radio kept going in and out."

"It's like riddles in the dark," Dustin sighed yet again, throwing his head back in exasperation.

Blowing air out through her nose, Cindy tucked a blonde strand of hair that had fallen in Eleven's face behind her ear.

"Like home," Mike stood to pace around them, "Like his house?"

"Or maybe like Hawkins," Lucas sat back in his chair, lifting a finger at his thought.

"Upside down," Eleven mumbled from Cindy's lap with the little strength she occupied.

Lucas looked at his friends, eyes squinted in confusion. "What'd she say?"

Cindy's eyes lifted, stilling her hand that traced over Eleven's hair. "Upside down."

"What?" Lucas hissed, rocking in his chair as he looked at the Harrington girl like she was speaking gibberish.

"Upside down," Mike repeated, finishing his pacing and moving towards the Dungeons and Dragons gameboard that rested backside up on the small table it sat on, "When El showed us where Will was, she flipped the board over, remember? Upside down."

Dustin and Lucas stood from their spots around the coffee table, walking to where Mike sat at the table, gathering around him.

Cindy would have moved, despite the weak girl laying over her lap, yet stretched her ears to listen to her friends.

"Dark," Mike spoke, eyes flittering between the boys, "Empty."

Lucas creased his dark brows, glancing towards a confused Dustin. "Do you understand what he's talking about?"