~ five ~

As I left the school, I walked down the stairs, outside the door and into the large parking lot. Crowds of people began pouring out of the doors and into their cars. I stared up at the cloudless sky and thought to myself.

Today was long, dismal, and boring. My brain is just going to melt out of my ears.

I oughta go back to Penny Lake today, hm? To rid my mind of the stress?

Or am I only considering to go to this right stupid body of water... just to see a boy? To get the attention of a bloke?

Eh. There's nothin' else better to do in this ghost town, I suppose.

And with that, I was on my way. I found a little path in the woods and followed it down to the familiar sanctuary I was in before.

Again, I saw that boy, Paul, sitting on the ledge by the water and staring off into the horizon.

I want to talk to him. But I know it'd be so strange. Just imagine some random bloke jumps out the woods and calls out your name! No, I couldn't do that. I'll let him come to me.

I took in a deep breath and walked towards him, though. My heart was racing more with every step.

He shot a look of curiousity behind him and studied me up and down, I paid him no mind.

I sat down a couple of meters from him and stared off into the trees beyond us. He still kept his weary eyes on me.

Oh, how he looked so much better up close. His beautiful doe eyes, looking me up and down. My heart could've popped out my chest right there.

Ah... Don't give me that look. I don't mean this in a queer way, no! ...It just made me feel a tad nervous to know I was being judged silently.

"Can I help ye?" His voice called out to me, gently. "Ye look rather... lost."

I guess it took me a bit too long to reply; suddenly, I lost my footing on the lake's edge and began to slip down the rocks just a bit. I caught my fall, though, avoiding too much embarrassment.

"Yer not from around here, ...are ye?" He prodded more with a slight laugh.

I looked back at him, "What? No, uh, I'm jus fine. ...Thank ye, though." I felt so put on the spot, that's all I could think of replying with at the moment.

"Oh," He smiled, "alright." He then looked out infront of him, taking in the lakeside view.

"So, what's yer name?" He asked me after a few seconds of awkward silence.

I cleared my throat, "My name? Well, ...it's John Lennon." I'm surprised I even remembered it.

"Oh! ...Guess it's only fair that I tell ye mine, then. I'm... Paul McCartney." He met my eyes.

I knew that, ye git.

"What a formal soundin' name, ye've got." I pointed out. "It's... sweet."

"Thanks... I think?" He asked with slight confusion as a light shade of pink began to spread upon his soft cheeks.

"I'll jus have to call ye somethin' else... Somethin' less snooty. How abou' Macca?" I asked.

"Macca? ...Never heard that one before." He laughed, staring down at the ground. "How creative."

     I stood up and dusted the dirt off my trousers, "It's fittin', innit?"